• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

MacBook Pro 16" screen goes completely black for a few seconds when launching Aftereffects 2020

Community Beginner ,
Jul 30, 2020 Jul 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bit of an odd glitch but I was wandering if any others have experienced this? It only seems to do it when I'm launching Aftereffects (I'm on MacOs Catalina 10.15.6 and AE2020). I click on AE to lauch it, the screen goes black as if it was off for a second or two, then everything is back to normal. I'm not using any external monitors, only the laptop.

TOPICS
Crash , Error or problem , Freeze or hang , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Aug 04, 2020 Aug 04, 2020

Hi Nishu,

I think I solved this problem, it turns out it was something to do with the laptop switching to the graphics card and not anything on the aftereffects end.

Thanks anyway!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 04, 2020 Aug 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi darrietighe,

Thanks for reaching out. We'd need more information so that we can troubleshoot the issue properly.

Could you share your system specifications (CPU, GPU, RAM, OS)? What's the exact version of After Effects you're using: https://community.adobe.com/t5/after-effects/faq-how-to-find-the-exact-version-of-after-effects-you-...

We're here to help, just need more info.

Thanks,

Nishu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nishu,

I think I solved this problem, it turns out it was something to do with the laptop switching to the graphics card and not anything on the aftereffects end.

Thanks anyway!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! I have the same issue.
How you fix it?
Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 05, 2020 Aug 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't fixed it but it doesnt bother me much now that I know whats causing it, with me it only happens with AE projects where I have the graphics acceleration (metal) enabled, heres a reddit thread that answered my question so you can see if its the same cause with you:

https://www.reddit.com/r/macbookpro/comments/i0mayq/weird_macbook_pro_16_issue_screen_goes_completel...

Hope that helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 19, 2020 Oct 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue with Photoshop 2020, on a band new Macbook Pro 16" (2.3GHz i9, 32GB ram, Catalina10.15.7). the screen goes completely black immediately after the load screen, for about 3-4 secs, then Photoshop loads in. If anyone can offer any help that would be great. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2020 Oct 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've noticed that the same issue described above appears to happen every time Adobe After Effects is launched, also, UNLESS Photoshop is already open. And if After Effects is already open, Photoshop will launch without the screen going black for 3-4 seconds before launch. Rebooting the MacBookseems  to fix this issue until the screen goes to sleep again - then the issue re-appears.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 28, 2020 Oct 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. I have this issue with my new Macbook Pro 16inch i9. Mostly is when it switchs from the native graphic card to the powerful one, in my case AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 4 GB. I turned off the "automatic switch" and haven't had any issue. Also sometimes it happens when I use it without the charger. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 01, 2020 Dec 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this issue as well when launching Ae 2020, how do you turn off thie "automatic switch" ? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 11, 2020 Dec 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue for me. 16" 5600m. It's also anoying because for me when the screen comes back upon launching AE or PS the project window's are all too high up and off the screen, outside of any way grabbing them to move them around. I have to then go into monitor setup and change my screen resolution to then reframe the project window and back again before I can start working.

Where do you turn off "automatic switch" and what will that affect?

Thanks,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 11, 2020 Dec 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 03, 2021 Jan 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 08, 2020 Dec 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reporting same issue when opening Premiere CC 14.6. 

16 inch MacBook pro

2.3 GHZ 8-core i9

64GB Ram

AMD Radeon PRo 5500M 8GB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines