• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

MacbookPro rendering

Community Beginner ,
Aug 21, 2020 Aug 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a brand new MacBook Pro with an upgraded configuration. I am rendering a file with almost no effects. Only some essential graphics stuff and animation. I have an 8-bit color profile (to optimize the processor usage).
My processor is only rendering like at max 30%. My GPU barely moves... I am using the newest operating system and After Effects.

Screenshot 2020-08-21 at 13.59.14.pngScreenshot 2020-08-21 at 14.45.29.png

I am using in Media Encoder to render with the recommended settings --> "Mercury Playback Engine (GPU Acceleration) - Metal".
Any ideas on how to set it up to be able to render with all the processing power?

TOPICS
Resources

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many processes in After Effects are still single-threaded. There are a number of GPU-accelerated effects, but After Effects does not proccess the entire frame on the GPU. There is no simple switch of "make it use all of my cores or 100% of my processing power," that's simply not how it works. The AE team has publicly mentioned that they are doing major, major performance work on software that's nearly 30 years old, but for now, you're not doing anything wrong. This is just how After Effects works. It prioritizes pixel accuracy over real-time playback and it's taking a significant amount of work to bring its code base into the current generation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the answer. I just don't understand then why doesn't render like at all at 100% or close to it on at least 1 core.

I am testing alternative solutions like BG Renderer Max right now... it seems that works a bit better. with 4 processes working I am able to use at least 60% of the hardware and I was able to render it 2x faster.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Adobe missed the GPU train, they missed the multi-core train and now we can see rendering performce increasing in small amounts with each update - at least.

My only hope is that competitors like the newly released Cavalry put enough pressure on Adobe, so they finally start to move forward and get things done.

*Martin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In addition to Davids response, you can speed up rendering (not preview rendering, but the final export), with render managers (like RenderGarden, RenderBoss, BG Renderer).

Just keep an eye on your memory usage, since those managers are RAM intensive. That's because they literally launch AE several times and each instance takes its own RAM.

*Martin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines