• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Mapping JSON data to color ramp

Community Beginner ,
Jun 18, 2020 Jun 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all! I'm trying to map values stored in a JSON file to a colour ramp in AE. Something like:

linear(myData.value, value_min, value_max, #FFFFFF, #000081)

...in the fill colour property, if the linear expression could be used in this way. So taking a value from my dataset, figuring out where it sits along the colour gradient and applying that fill colour to the shape.

Is there a way to do this with expressions in AE?

TOPICS
Expressions , Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jun 19, 2020 Jun 19, 2020

Just an update – I managed to make this work using the hexToRgb() expression!

linear(myData.value, value_min, value_max, hexToRgb("FFFFFF"), hexToRgb("000081"))

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Jun 18, 2020 Jun 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No such thing. Controls contained in sub-dialogs and custom controls cannot be accessed with expressions and in many cases not even with scripts when the "data blob" formatting isn't known. That's the iron rule of AE. whatever you have in mind will require a different approach like using the Ramp or Tint effects to colorize your artwork.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 19, 2020 Jun 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In expressions, colors are arrays [red,green,blue,alpha] with values between 0 and 1. Linear can work with those. The only thing you need to do is to convert your #FFFFFF to the corresponding array [0,0,0,1].

My free tool mamoworldJSON has this conversion build-in and supports (i.e. converts) color values of the form #FFFFFF to the required arrays out of the box.
If you don't want to use mamoworldJSON and rather implement it yourself - this is how it works:

function hexStringToColorArray(val){
var colorString = /([0-9a-fA-F]{6})/.exec(val)[1];
var color = [];
color[0] = parseInt(colorString.substr(0,2),16)/255;
color[1] = parseInt(colorString.substr(2,2),16)/255;
color[2] = parseInt(colorString.substr(4,2),16)/255;
color[3] = 1;
return color;
}
linear(myData.value,value_min,value_max,hexStringToColorArray("#FFFFFF"),hexStringToColorArray("#000081"))
Mathias Möhl - Developer of tools like BeatEdit and Automation Blocks for Premiere Pro and After Effects

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just an update – I managed to make this work using the hexToRgb() expression!

linear(myData.value, value_min, value_max, hexToRgb("FFFFFF"), hexToRgb("000081"))

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Oh, yes, expressions has its own implementation to convert hex to RGB! So my solution is unnecessarily complicated.

Mathias Möhl - Developer of tools like BeatEdit and Automation Blocks for Premiere Pro and After Effects

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines