Highlighted

Masking a Layer that Scales at a Different Speed.

Community Beginner ,
May 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello.

In After Effects, I have two layers: one is video footage; the other is a white vector box that acts as a frame. In the sequence, both layers scale so that they grow larger over time. But, they are to appear to grow at different rates, relative to each other, much like a dolly effect. As an illustration, please take a look at the two screen shots, attached. Screen Shot 1 is the starting point; Screen Shot 2 is the end point.

My issue is that I want the solid black area of the composition to always touch the outside edges of the white frame throughout the sequence. The video of the man is not supposed to extend beyond the white frame at any time.

But the white frame, which acts as a mask to the video, is to move toward the audience at a faster rate than the video of the man. The experience should be almost as if the camera is moving through frame, approaching the image of the man.

How do I do this using masks? I tried to apply a mask to an adjustment layer, to no avail.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Masking a Layer that Scales at a Different Speed.

Community Beginner ,
May 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello.

In After Effects, I have two layers: one is video footage; the other is a white vector box that acts as a frame. In the sequence, both layers scale so that they grow larger over time. But, they are to appear to grow at different rates, relative to each other, much like a dolly effect. As an illustration, please take a look at the two screen shots, attached. Screen Shot 1 is the starting point; Screen Shot 2 is the end point.

My issue is that I want the solid black area of the composition to always touch the outside edges of the white frame throughout the sequence. The video of the man is not supposed to extend beyond the white frame at any time.

But the white frame, which acts as a mask to the video, is to move toward the audience at a faster rate than the video of the man. The experience should be almost as if the camera is moving through frame, approaching the image of the man.

How do I do this using masks? I tried to apply a mask to an adjustment layer, to no avail.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
May 25, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Duplicate the shape layer that contains the square box. If it is an Illustrator layer, then you can convert it to a shape layer. Change the fill from nothing to a solid color. If none of that works then you can just add a solid layer below the rectangle and scale it or mask I so it is just inside the outside edge of the rectangle. Name that layer Track Matte. Now put your footage layer below the Track Matte layer and set the track matte to Alpha. 

The last step is to parent the Track Matte to the rectangle layer. 

If you did not use Layer>Transform>Scale to animate the Rectangle layer we need to know how you did it.

If you can't figure out track mattes or you can't find the track matte switch first click the first two icons at the bottom left of the timeline so you can see both the Switches and Modes column. The track matte pulldown menu is in the Modes column to the right of the Modes options. To access parenting you will have to Righ-click in the Timeline/Layer bar and enable the Parent/Link column.

If you are still lost try searching "track Matte" in AE's Search help field in the top right corner of the app, or consult the User Guide. Everything I talked about is a basic workflow and skill you should have.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 25, 2020 0
The_Mavo LATEST
Community Beginner ,
May 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Rick. I’ll try that.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 26, 2020 0