• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Masking question

New Here ,
Apr 28, 2020 Apr 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a newbie playing around with some of the stuff I've learnt, so sorry if this is a simple thing. I made a piece that basically is a door scene with a mask applied to the door. I've added a fure effect to the door, that changes to a spooky scene. That works all ok, but I have an issue with the mask. At the moment I'm just using a static background image to keep things simple. The mask is applied, but it's just there as a solid shape, how do I get it to fade in after a few seconds, revealing the flames? 

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 14, 2020 May 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Can you post a screenshot so we can see visually what you are trying to do? FTI, there are opacity settings for masks that you can animate to reveal things, or you can precomp a mask and its masked layer.

Thx,

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Steve,

Noy sure if this is a messy way of doing it, but I did work out a solution in the end. Basically I made a layer that contained a copy of the master image, setting it's duration to 3s, applied a mask to it that fades out, revealing the layer below. It works but pretty certain it's a "hack job" 🙂 

AE example.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Animate the opacity of the mask or animate the opacity of the layer. The proper technique depends on how you set up the comp. 

This is really basic stufff. You shold probably spend a couple of hours with the User Guide. It will save you a lot of time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Many thanks. I'll take a look. I've been self learning and as usual it's inspired me to come up with ideas, but not how to achieve them 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines