• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Merge Path Subtraction 3D Problem

Participant ,
May 12, 2018 May 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pardon the newbie question, but I'm learning bezier editing on a shape layer in After effects and I have two groups that behave completely differently when 3D is switched on for the group.   If you see the "A" and the "R" in this graphic, you see that in 2D space, (2nd image below)  the hole in each letter is removed in subtract mode, but when I switch on 3D, the "A" hollows out and makes the hole solid.  I've set up each group the same way, and each of the primary shape paths look the same.   The "A" renders as a solid when the hole is removed.  Any hints?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , May 14, 2018 May 14, 2018

This isn't a solve, but a less-than-ideal work around.  The only difference between these two groups of shape layers is that the inner "A" on the right has one vertice dragged slightly lower and to the right.  When you have 3D checked on and play with a vertice, the rendering goes solid or hollow for some reason I can't determine.  If you're patient, you can get close to the shape you want.  This feels like a bug to me in the Cinema 4D rendering engine.  Apparently, I can't attach the AE file, f

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

show us a full screenshot of your Ae interface.

What renderer are you using? Classic 3D /Raytraced/C4D? (In the composition advanced options)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Render is set to Cinema  4D

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When the letter "holes" are removed, both of the primary letter shapes render as solids... 

but if the interior of the "A" is restored, the A renders cookie-cutter style, all sides and no interior..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Similarly if the letter outlines are removed and the interiors are left, they also render as solids.  I can't see any reason why merge path subtract would operate differently on the "R but not the "A"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure if this means anything, but the problem letters appear to have difficulty responding to stroke widths in 2d. (Not sure if that says something about the path itself.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 13, 2018 May 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(Not sure if that says something about the path itself.)

Yes, it does. You need to clean up the artwork and fix those issues.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a pretty close bezier trace of a long-used logo, so I don't have much choice there, but there are no points of intersection between the interior and the exterior shape.  In 2D space the interior space is properly subtracted, but not in 3d space.  I've confirmed AE apparently has this problem with simpler shapes as well.  Perhaps some setting on the path layer I'm missing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My previous confusion about responding to stroke widths had to do with the stroke width assigned the path and the stroke width assigned the group.  The combined paths in the group take the group stroke width properly.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another illustration of the problem letter not subtracting the interior shape next to a random double set of shapes.  On the right, the random shape is properly removing the interior shape in 3D.  On the left, I pulled down a vertice and it stopped performing the subtraction.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Someone told me a new session of AE might solve this, or a new project?  Any theories on why that might work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 14, 2018 May 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This isn't a solve, but a less-than-ideal work around.  The only difference between these two groups of shape layers is that the inner "A" on the right has one vertice dragged slightly lower and to the right.  When you have 3D checked on and play with a vertice, the rendering goes solid or hollow for some reason I can't determine.  If you're patient, you can get close to the shape you want.  This feels like a bug to me in the Cinema 4D rendering engine.  Apparently, I can't attach the AE file, for your review, but if it helps anyone else, this is the only way I could find to address the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 16, 2020 Oct 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you Foxetown! I was having the same issue, and your suggestion of nudging one of the points was the fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines