Highlighted

Mocha in 2019 saves "nowhere"?

New Here ,
Nov 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I just downloaded and tested the new mocha in 2019, it's faster for sure! I did a direct test and it was almost twice as fast at the same exact track so that is really cool, however!

Something that is very odd to me is that it no longer saves an actual file anywhere outside of the plugin effect that is sitting on a layer! Yes you can export a "save" of the mocha file. But after doing that, saving doesn't save to that file it saves literally to the plugin effect on the layer so if that effect get's deleted from your layer you just LOSE it ALL! I'm not sure about everyone else but effects on layers come and go like spare change while working, this seems like not a very secure way for it to function? I just have to constantly keep exporting a "backup" version of it in case something happens to the effect on the layer and I've already lost work realizing that it doesn't in fact save anywhere. It would be really nice if it could work the original way OR the plugin way if you wanted it to.

Not sure how everyone else feels about this but to me it's a huge risk of losing work for it to behave this way.  Roto jobs can have weeks of work in a single mocha project. Or maybe i'm not understanding how this is supposed to work.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Mocha in 2019 saves "nowhere"?

New Here ,
Nov 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I just downloaded and tested the new mocha in 2019, it's faster for sure! I did a direct test and it was almost twice as fast at the same exact track so that is really cool, however!

Something that is very odd to me is that it no longer saves an actual file anywhere outside of the plugin effect that is sitting on a layer! Yes you can export a "save" of the mocha file. But after doing that, saving doesn't save to that file it saves literally to the plugin effect on the layer so if that effect get's deleted from your layer you just LOSE it ALL! I'm not sure about everyone else but effects on layers come and go like spare change while working, this seems like not a very secure way for it to function? I just have to constantly keep exporting a "backup" version of it in case something happens to the effect on the layer and I've already lost work realizing that it doesn't in fact save anywhere. It would be really nice if it could work the original way OR the plugin way if you wanted it to.

Not sure how everyone else feels about this but to me it's a huge risk of losing work for it to behave this way.  Roto jobs can have weeks of work in a single mocha project. Or maybe i'm not understanding how this is supposed to work.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 06, 2018 0
Explorer ,
Dec 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Mocha project session information is saved to your AE project just like any other plug-in. In this manner, you can actually save multiple Mocha sessions within one AE project and they are all associated with your project.

Alternately if you'd like to back up the Mocha project itself to file, inside of Mocha AE go to file>Export Project. Here you can save a .mocha project that can be restored, opened on another AE system or even opened into Mocha Pro.

If you are working inside Mocha AE for a very long time, you change the auto-save settings inside file>preferences.

Hope this helps.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 12, 2018 1
New Here ,
Mar 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not correct. I saved while in the Mocha interface. Upon exiting and trying to access the data, AE crashed. When I opened up the autosave file which was only 2 minutes old, all the Mocha data I had created since the start of the session (hours of work) was gone. I hope there's another temp file of some sort, somewhere, but I haven't found it.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 02, 2020 0
Toby702 LATEST
Community Beginner ,
Aug 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just hit this same scenario.  Were you able to find your data?  I was applying a Mocha mask and it crashed AE.  The data it loaded back up with is old.... very old.  I've been hitting CMD+S frequently too....

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 30, 2020 0