Highlighted

Moving DUIK controllers back to original comp

New Here ,
May 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

So I've rigged a character with DUIK Bassel in a comp and extracted the controllers into another comp. I did all the animation of the character in this comp, but the character has a skirt and to animate the skirt I need to go back to the 1st comp, but this comp doesn't have the controllers with the keyframes now. (Somehow there are still controllers in here, just not the keyframes). So I can't see the animation timings to animate the skirt accordingly.

Is there a way to move the controllers back to the 1st comp with all the keyframes intact? Or another way I can sort this out?

I didn't made good experience extracting the controllers (there have been updates on that, maybe it's better now) and I try to avoid it.

Carefully copy the keyframes back to the in-comp controllers. If they are not there anymore, copy the controllers back into the comp. You'll have to edit the expressions on the rig, since it still referres to the outside controllers. I think the best workflow is to delete the outside-controllers and than solve every expression error. Make a backup copy of your project, you can easily screw up your work.

Therefore, I would just open both comps on top of each other and animate the skirt inside, while the controllers of the rig are still outside. If it's just about timing, it's just a matter of your workspace. I'm doing this all the time: voice over is in main comp, but I'm animating 3 or 4 hierachry steps into it. Timing is not an issue, the CTI updates over all comps simultaneously.

*Martin

TOPICS
How to, Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Moving DUIK controllers back to original comp

New Here ,
May 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

So I've rigged a character with DUIK Bassel in a comp and extracted the controllers into another comp. I did all the animation of the character in this comp, but the character has a skirt and to animate the skirt I need to go back to the 1st comp, but this comp doesn't have the controllers with the keyframes now. (Somehow there are still controllers in here, just not the keyframes). So I can't see the animation timings to animate the skirt accordingly.

Is there a way to move the controllers back to the 1st comp with all the keyframes intact? Or another way I can sort this out?

I didn't made good experience extracting the controllers (there have been updates on that, maybe it's better now) and I try to avoid it.

Carefully copy the keyframes back to the in-comp controllers. If they are not there anymore, copy the controllers back into the comp. You'll have to edit the expressions on the rig, since it still referres to the outside controllers. I think the best workflow is to delete the outside-controllers and than solve every expression error. Make a backup copy of your project, you can easily screw up your work.

Therefore, I would just open both comps on top of each other and animate the skirt inside, while the controllers of the rig are still outside. If it's just about timing, it's just a matter of your workspace. I'm doing this all the time: voice over is in main comp, but I'm animating 3 or 4 hierachry steps into it. Timing is not an issue, the CTI updates over all comps simultaneously.

*Martin

TOPICS
How to, Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
May 20, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
May 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing stops you from using simple copy&paste to carry over the controllers. Everything else would likely require extensive manual editing of the DUIK code to chnage the references in the expressions themselves, but it's really not clear how your project is actually rigged from your somewhat vague and confusing description.

Mylenium

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 20, 2020 0
Guide ,
May 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*Martin

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 21, 2020 0
New Here ,
May 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! 

"Therefore, I would just open both comps on top of each other and animate the skirt inside, while the controllers of the rig are still outside. If it's just about timing, it's just a matter of your workspace. I'm doing this all the time: voice over is in main comp, but I'm animating 3 or 4 hierachry steps into it. Timing is not an issue, the CTI updates over all comps simultaneously."

I thought this would be the case, but it didn't update over both comps, I wonder if i did something wrong while extracting about the master properties or something. I tried copying the controllers back to the 1st comp but it sent everything haywire, but copying the keyframes worked. I'm very new to Duik, and still learning as I go along the project - even though the tutorials make it look all too easy, I guess there will be a lot more trial and error. Thanks for your help!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 21, 2020 0