Highlighted

Need Advice on Specs for a Work Computer

New Here ,
Apr 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Everyone,

I've recently been hired to teach, among other things, AfterEffects, Premiere and Photoshop. My new workplace has offered the following models for my work computer, with which I am to do research and teaching:

Dell Latitude 5400 14" laptop
Intel® Core™ i5 Processor
16GB 2400MHz DDR4 Memory
256GB SSD Hard Drive
Intel® Integrated UHD 620 Graphics

Latitude 2-in-1 Tablet
Model: 7400
Intel Core i7-8665U 4 core processor
Windows 10 (64Bit)
256GB SATA Solid State Storage
16GB LPDDR3 2133MhHz Memory

I am somewhat dubious that the standard-issue laptop for the entire university, used primarily to write research papers and data spreadsheets, will be up to the standard of rendering in AfterEffects, for example. I have been told that I can petition to receive a different computer, but I will need to be specific about why such offerings are insufficient for my teaching activities, and why the computer I am asking for will do a better job.

I know very little about computers beyond "this computer couldn't do what I needed it to do" vs. "this computer can do the tasks." I don't know why a certain computer couldn't handle the tasks, and am not an expert on the differences between one core processor and another. I've been doing some research, but I'm going to need very concrete data, as I will be petitioning to administrators who are very far removed from the day-to-day activities of my job.

A computer to do my job well requires the following:

-smooth use of Adobe CC software, even the heavy lifters, with minimal lags or crashing

-decent storage and rendering capabilities

-bright, high-quality display that is true to color

I'd appreciate any advice concerning the following: 

1) what, if anything, about the above models will make them insufficient for educating students in the specified softwares/doing my work? The Latitude 5400 is already off the table due to display size, but the 7400 could potentially work based on my research. I'm concerned about display brightness, but that's not going to be compelling enough to the admins in and of itself.

2) what sort of computer, Mac or windows, would be good alternatives for my job? I've been informed any alternatives will come with "standard specs and no add ons" so I'm not going to get a dream computer out of this, but I just need to use a computer that is good for the sort of work I do. I've been looking at the MacbookPro and the Dell Precision 5510 as alternatives to bring forward, but I'd appreciate perspective from anyone more familiar with the Windows world. (Naturally, the less expensive, the better, since there won't be a bulk purchasing discount for a computer that deviates from the standard purchase order.)

Thanks for your help!

Topics

FAQ, Resources

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Need Advice on Specs for a Work Computer

New Here ,
Apr 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Everyone,

I've recently been hired to teach, among other things, AfterEffects, Premiere and Photoshop. My new workplace has offered the following models for my work computer, with which I am to do research and teaching:

Dell Latitude 5400 14" laptop
Intel® Core™ i5 Processor
16GB 2400MHz DDR4 Memory
256GB SSD Hard Drive
Intel® Integrated UHD 620 Graphics

Latitude 2-in-1 Tablet
Model: 7400
Intel Core i7-8665U 4 core processor
Windows 10 (64Bit)
256GB SATA Solid State Storage
16GB LPDDR3 2133MhHz Memory

I am somewhat dubious that the standard-issue laptop for the entire university, used primarily to write research papers and data spreadsheets, will be up to the standard of rendering in AfterEffects, for example. I have been told that I can petition to receive a different computer, but I will need to be specific about why such offerings are insufficient for my teaching activities, and why the computer I am asking for will do a better job.

I know very little about computers beyond "this computer couldn't do what I needed it to do" vs. "this computer can do the tasks." I don't know why a certain computer couldn't handle the tasks, and am not an expert on the differences between one core processor and another. I've been doing some research, but I'm going to need very concrete data, as I will be petitioning to administrators who are very far removed from the day-to-day activities of my job.

A computer to do my job well requires the following:

-smooth use of Adobe CC software, even the heavy lifters, with minimal lags or crashing

-decent storage and rendering capabilities

-bright, high-quality display that is true to color

I'd appreciate any advice concerning the following: 

1) what, if anything, about the above models will make them insufficient for educating students in the specified softwares/doing my work? The Latitude 5400 is already off the table due to display size, but the 7400 could potentially work based on my research. I'm concerned about display brightness, but that's not going to be compelling enough to the admins in and of itself.

2) what sort of computer, Mac or windows, would be good alternatives for my job? I've been informed any alternatives will come with "standard specs and no add ons" so I'm not going to get a dream computer out of this, but I just need to use a computer that is good for the sort of work I do. I've been looking at the MacbookPro and the Dell Precision 5510 as alternatives to bring forward, but I'd appreciate perspective from anyone more familiar with the Windows world. (Naturally, the less expensive, the better, since there won't be a bulk purchasing discount for a computer that deviates from the standard purchase order.)

Thanks for your help!

Topics

FAQ, Resources

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Apr 30, 2020 0

Have something to add?