Highlighted

Need guidance on how I would go about creating this effect. Extreme Newbie to the program.

New Here ,
Jun 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone,

Fist off, I have never used After Effects.  I have watched some tutorials on it throughout the years, but never thought I would need it.  I am at a point now, where I am going to need to learn it.  I created the following animation in my 3d program.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPID47AXwMg

It was a fair amount of work, and I need to replicate this across about 6 characters.  What I am wanting to do is the following.

1. Render the walk/pose animations to video with the street clothes and armor.  They will use the same animation, starting location, etc.  Meaning that the videos will perfectly line up.

2. Place the street clothes video over the armor video.

3. Animate a mask that masks out the silouhette of the street clothes character that makes the street clothes character disappear, with same type of effect in the video playing along the bottom edge of the mask.

Is this something that I can do in after effects, or do I need to look at premier or is it just easier if I recreate the animation in my 3d program.  Does anyone have a link to tutorials to do what I am describing? 

Thanks in advance,

Walter

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Topics

How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Need guidance on how I would go about creating this effect. Extreme Newbie to the program.

New Here ,
Jun 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone,

Fist off, I have never used After Effects.  I have watched some tutorials on it throughout the years, but never thought I would need it.  I am at a point now, where I am going to need to learn it.  I created the following animation in my 3d program.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPID47AXwMg

It was a fair amount of work, and I need to replicate this across about 6 characters.  What I am wanting to do is the following.

1. Render the walk/pose animations to video with the street clothes and armor.  They will use the same animation, starting location, etc.  Meaning that the videos will perfectly line up.

2. Place the street clothes video over the armor video.

3. Animate a mask that masks out the silouhette of the street clothes character that makes the street clothes character disappear, with same type of effect in the video playing along the bottom edge of the mask.

Is this something that I can do in after effects, or do I need to look at premier or is it just easier if I recreate the animation in my 3d program.  Does anyone have a link to tutorials to do what I am describing? 

Thanks in advance,

Walter

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Topics

How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think what you already do is the best way, PP didn't help on this at all and in after effects you may be creat the mask effects and the transformation between the 2 footage you already created on your 3D software, so if you think the transformation takes to much time to do it on the 3D software it can be done on AE using some third-party plugin like red giant particular

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jun 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would be easy enough in AE and you can find plenty of tutorials on basic techniques. You may just not find one that covers your exact use case specifically. The basic drill in your example would be:

• create a simple linea gradient wipe in a pre-composition
  • add the scattering/ rough edges on top e.g. by ways of the Roughen Edges effect or using the gradient as an input map in effects like Card Dance
  • Use the frizzled result as a matte for the transition
  • Use duplicates of the wipe with additional effects for the glow after colorizing it e.g. with a Tint effect or similar.

This would result in an easily re-usable setup where you just duplicate the comps and replace the footage in each to create the different variants for each character.

Mylenium

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
wtadlock LATEST
New Here ,
Jun 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you both for your replies.

Mylenium,

From what I was watching on tutorials, I figured that was the approach.  I just have to dig a little deeper with the searches regarding the linear wipe and other effects, but for this, I may just have to stick with doing it in 3d, it will be easier in the long run.

Thanks,

Walter

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines