New hardware investment for AE

Community Beginner ,
Sep 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Soon we will be investing in new AE stations.

We work with AE and Photoshop mainly. Premiere is hardly used.

Is it useful to invest in a fast graphics card or is that waste?

Should we concentrate on CPU and RAM?

Is it wise to get a system, read, write and Cache disk?

I'm looking at BenQ monitors.
But they have a photo, video and graphics range.
Which one would come closest to the Eizo we can't afford anymore?

We must render at very high speed as we create composition with graphics for news programs.
So, the project comes in late and has to be created very fast and rendered too.
Time is our biggest enemy.

I'd really like to learn what hardware suggestions you have if you are aware of broadcast station needs when it comes to AE. So experience in a professional production situation is key.

I've been looking at the suggestions over at Puget Systems but they go for a big gfx card and AMD processor. I got very bad experiences with Adobe and heavy projects on AMD systems for instance.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/recommended/Recommended-Systems-for-Adobe-After-Effects-144/Buy_167

So I'm open for suggestions.

TOPICS
How to, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Szalam LATEST
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Puget Systems does pretty extensive testing. You can look at the actual tests they've done, try out their sample project that they're testing with, and see the numbers each processor got. I'd do more research on their site than just that one page. It's full of useful information.

That said, yes, focusing on the CPU is more important than the GPU. Single core clock speed is currently more important than the number of cores. The AE team has publicly said that they're working on making AE's renderer more multithreaded, but until that update comes, single core speed is the most important thing.

You definitely want at least 32 GB of RAM - I'd get 64, if I were you.

A decent GPU helps for sure, but you don't need to go crazy here.

And, yes, you definitely want a separate SSD/m.2 drive for AE's cache. I'd suggest at least three drives. An SSD/m.2 for OS and programs, an SSD/m.2 for AE's cache, and another drive of any kind to hold project files, rendered video, stock files, archives, etc.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more