Highlighted

New iMac with AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT causing issues

New Here ,
Sep 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After Effecs is going haywire with my new computer.  Is it the graphics card?  Do I need to return this computer?

iMac 2020

128GB RAM

AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16GB

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

New iMac with AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT causing issues

New Here ,
Sep 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After Effecs is going haywire with my new computer.  Is it the graphics card?  Do I need to return this computer?

iMac 2020

128GB RAM

AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16GB

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 04, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try changing the display acceleration settings in Preferences/Display and Preferences/Video Preview (Alt/Option + Ctrl/Cmnd + 😉  and try changing the Video Rendering and Effects rendering settings in Project Settings (Shift + Alt/Option + Ctrl/CMnd + k). 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 04, 2020 1
New Here ,
Sep 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there Rick,

I really liked your idea and I was sure it would rule out the graphics card.  Unfortuantley, the problem persisted.  I still get a lot of hickups moving through the interface similar to my screen capture.

I'm looking into compatability issues with the new iMacs.  It's very frustrating.

Thanks!  NB

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 04, 2020 0
Sep 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Compatibility problems are more likely to be caused by Catalina than the hardware. I have an iMac Pro and a MacBook Pro that work just fine using 10.14. I'm even using a 9-year-old Mac Mini running 10.3 and except for being slow, it runs CC 2019 - even with the C4D rendering engine just fine. CC 2020 also runs fine as long as I don't use Cineware or C4D rendering but that is because of the changes in Cineware, not the changes in AE.

If you can, try downgrading your OS and see if that fixes things. I'm waiting for at least two more updates to my most used software before I jump to Catilina. It's just too restrictive.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 04, 2020 0
New Here ,
Sep 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestion.  I'll give it it try. 

This still doesn't get around the fact that none of Apple's new iMac's have graphics cards that are supported by Adobe.   I see that all the iMac Pro's cards (AMD Radeon Pro Vega 56, 64 and 64x) are all supported, so I would expect them to work corretly.  I expect the same would be true for your other hardward.

Seeing flashes of green, from my experience, suggests graphics processing issues and not so much software issues.  But at this stage I'll give re-installing the OS a shot.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 04, 2020 0
New Here ,
Sep 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have a new 2020 iMac with the AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16GB, and am having issues as well. Spoke to Adobe support 4 times befor they finally told me i'll have to wait for a PS update before it will work with the new iMac GPU. Hopefully this is addressed soon.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 19, 2020 1
New Here ,
Sep 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To: StevenRyanPhoto

I finally got a senior advisor on the phone and was told not to expect the AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT to be supported any time soon.  It hasn't been tested.

Since my machine is still returnable, I tought.  Hmmm, I'll return these 2020 iMac's and buy some second hard 2019 iMac's....  Only to find that the none of the videos cards in the 2019 series were ever supported.  You have to go back to 2017 to find a 27" imac with a supported video card.  My next plan was to put in a eGPU, so I can use a supported card exertnally.  BUT eGPU's are not supported.  I'm at a loss, my only option really is to buy a massively overpriced older iMac Pro, which is not a good outcome.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 21, 2020 0
Szalam LATEST
Sep 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you mean by "not supported"? GPUs in any new Mac should be supported for the Metal acceleration of effects that use GPU acceleration. If you're talking about accelerating the ray-traced renderer, that feature has been considered obsolete for a while and has been removed in the latest versions.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 21, 2020 0