• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

No realtime playback above 8bpc (after cache)

Explorer ,
Oct 22, 2020 Oct 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am experiencing massive playback issues. Any content (mp4, exr, png seq) doesn't playback at realtime even after cached at 16 or 32bpc. For 16-32 bpc it is instantly at <5fps. 8bpc works for all clips (though feels like its trying hard to get to speed). My laptop works fine for all of these clips.

I don't know what changed in my system to trigger this. My main OS drive is SSD and am working off of M.2 with an HDD for scratches (i am planning to change this to another SSD).

• I've turned off all Hardware Accelerate and chosen "fast" over "more accurate" in Settings
  • Ive reverted Nvidia Drivers to 452.06 and debating to 442 (feb)
  • I added a 3rd GPU a week ago but removed it today to test (and wasn't using above 8pbc for a while)
  • I updated AE to the latest version today and was 4 or so behind before doing so (both have the problem).

Totally at a loss other than working in 8pbc. 😞

Specs:

• i75930k 3.5ghz
  • Mobo: Rog V Extreme (3.1)
  • 32gb Ram
  • SSD OS
  • M.2 Working drive
  • HDD cache / auto saves etc

TOPICS
Error or problem , Performance , Preview

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Remove the GPUs entirely from the system by deleting them from the device manager and let the system automatically reinstall and configure drivers. Also check for color profiles and virtual/ extended desktops your messing around with the configuration may have left over. Also simply delete the AE prefs and the log/ config file from the OpenGL probing utility to reset everything to factory defaults.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply 🙂 I'll give this a shot. I can't remove all since there is no onboard GPU, but will go down to 1 for this step.

I don't have extended desktops but do have Anydesk to remotely tether in. Could you elaborate on this step at all possibly?

Will the drivers be the latest, or native windows ones? Mostly asking in case it afffects Redshift GPU Renderer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 29, 2020 Oct 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

UPDATE:

The only thing that worked was reverting to AE 2019. I tried multiple 2020 versions and different NVidia Driver releases but nothing played back when cached at 16-32bpc.

I am starting to think the issue is with how AE handles its Ram Preview Cache. Reason I suspect this is because once it starts ram-previewing, even a black solid (which i place for the first 01s in a comp) plays back only at ~5fps at 32bpc linearized after cached.

My Razer 2019 Laptop (i7 / 32gb ram/2080 GPU) plays all of this fine at 32bpc linearized.

My desktop (i7 3.5ghz / 32gb ram/2x980TIs) can't do it in 2020 but can in 2019.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines