• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

No shadows in active camera view After Effects

Explorer ,
Mar 13, 2020 Mar 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm totally stumped here, cannot figure out what is going on.  I have all my material options set properly and the light is correct.  Can't identify why I can see shadows in FRONT view but not ACTIVE CAMERA view.  Any ideas?  Here is a screen of my app:  

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qaa6vziqutqs65s/CropperCapture%5B9%5D.png?dl=0

[Moving from generic Start/Help forum to the specific Program forum... Mod]
[To find a forum for your program please start at https://community.adobe.com/]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you shure taht you have activate it "Cast Shadows: On" in Material Options in 3D layer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 10, 2020 Jun 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 11, 2020 Jun 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select all your 3D layers and lights, press the U key twice. If you don't see Cast Shadows on for lights and layers, you won't get any shadows. The default for both lights and layers is Cast Shadows Off. You also need to check at least two views to make sure your lights are in the right location and pointed the right way to cast a shadow. If you don't see Cast Shadows - On, then select the layer and press aa to reveal the material options and make the adjustments.

Screenshot_2020-06-11 05.18.26_RITudv.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 01, 2021 Dec 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We might be having a similar problem here. 
In out case an ADOBE ILLUSTRATOR LAYER (tldr) was causing the problem.
We created another solid, which would cast shadows if said Illustrator 3d layer was not visible and in between the light and shadow catcher. 
If the Illustrator layer was visible or inbetween in the layer stack; no shadows. 
Said layer has a Fill Effect and a Mask, but does not cast shadows when these things are deactivated. 
Seems like a BUG to me. 
Still twiddling with things to figure out what the issue might be and how to fix it, but I'll most likely parent a solid with the same shape of the illustrator layer to cast the shadow.

Error.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 28, 2021 Dec 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried pre-comping the illustrator pieces?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 03, 2023 Jan 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That worked for me, thanks! In my case it was an empty text layer between light and shadow casting layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 03, 2023 Jan 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fixed it, thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 07, 2022 Sep 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue--shadows show up in Front view (and Custom views), but not in Active Camera view.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 07, 2022 Sep 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

G Alder, we need screenshots of your comp with four views so we can see the alignment of the layers. If you are using the C4D rendering engine, shadows are limited. If it is something else, a screenshot showing the position of the lights, the camera, and the layers should point out the flaws in the layout.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 15, 2023 May 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turning off Draft3D helped me see my shadow

natalienware_0-1684188016939.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 29, 2023 Oct 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the real answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 05, 2023 Sep 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In case you still having this problem.
I had a similar problem, a 3D comp that casts a shadow over a floor. the shadow was there in all views except default/ camera view.
What solved it was moving a video layer I had above the casting shadow layer(it wasn't matted or in any way relevant to the comp).

So I suggest moving around some layer order in your sequance layers window and see if it changes anything.
Hope it helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 24, 2023 Nov 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Delete all the effects of the layer.  Some effects (like drop shadow) are not compatible with cast shadows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines