• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Not able to add extrusion depth to pre-composed layer.

Explorer ,
Aug 16, 2020 Aug 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, I want to create a 3D logo animation and for this I have created some layers in Illustrator. I have converted them to shapes in After Effects. When I leave them like this, I am able to add extrusion depth to them. But because they are several layers, I actually want to pre-compose them and then add an extrusion depth to them, which is not possible. Can I do this somehow without having to control every single part of the logo in the animation individually?

Thanks, Daniel

TOPICS
Error or problem , How to , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 16, 2020 Aug 16, 2020

You have two options. If you separated elements into layers in AI so you could animate the parts of the logos individually then the simplest option is to tie the extrusion settings from each layer to the other layers with simple pickwhip expressions so changing the extrusion depth on the master layer changes all the others. 

If all of the parts move in unison then you can either parent them together or import your AI file again merging all layers and then convert the single layer to a shape la

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have two options. If you separated elements into layers in AI so you could animate the parts of the logos individually then the simplest option is to tie the extrusion settings from each layer to the other layers with simple pickwhip expressions so changing the extrusion depth on the master layer changes all the others. 

If all of the parts move in unison then you can either parent them together or import your AI file again merging all layers and then convert the single layer to a shape layer. Now you have one element that you can extrude and animate.

If this were my project I would use the Classic Rendering comp setting, convert the AI layers to shapes, animate everything using flat layers, lights and cameras so that things look great except for the extrusion, then save the file, export the Comp as a C4D file, import the C4D file, and do the extruding in C4D Lite. You'll have a lot better options for extruding and texturing the layers, it will render faster, and you won't lose effects and blend modes that you have in a Classic 3D comp.  It will also render a little faster and the work of staging and animating your animation will also be a lot easier. When you are done, you can even choose the Centered Comp Camera and change the camera move on the animated logo any time you like. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! Can I post additional answers here if I have some?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 07, 2022 Feb 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Rick!  What if im working with a text I want to alpha mate a texture into it? Cinema 4d wont work with  alpha matte, it is dissabled and neither can i use classic 3d because i cant extrude. I cant work around this issue. precomposing doesnt work either because extrude doesnt work on precomps.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines