Highlighted

Object prefers 3D CAMERA TRACK

Community Beginner ,
Mar 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I'm trying to track a Parallel Light to tracked null. When i parent these two together, the light is still moving with the 3D CAMERA TRACKER, which I've applied before. How do make the Light ignore the 3D CAMERA TRACKER? 

Also adding screenshot of my project, so you can see what I have in the comp.

Composition settings: Res: 3840 px, 2160 px 

Framerate: 24

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Rick Gerard | Adobe Community Professional

I was thinking about your problem last night and I realized that I was way over complicating the problem. 

The position for the point of interest for your light would be the same as the position of the null controlling the Element 3D object. Just copy and paste without moving the CTI (current time indicator).

All you have to do to the light to keep it from moving is parent it to the camera. That should fix your moving shadow problem. 

Topics

How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Object prefers 3D CAMERA TRACK

Community Beginner ,
Mar 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I'm trying to track a Parallel Light to tracked null. When i parent these two together, the light is still moving with the 3D CAMERA TRACKER, which I've applied before. How do make the Light ignore the 3D CAMERA TRACKER? 

Also adding screenshot of my project, so you can see what I have in the comp.

Composition settings: Res: 3840 px, 2160 px 

Framerate: 24

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Rick Gerard | Adobe Community Professional

I was thinking about your problem last night and I realized that I was way over complicating the problem. 

The position for the point of interest for your light would be the same as the position of the null controlling the Element 3D object. Just copy and paste without moving the CTI (current time indicator).

All you have to do to the light to keep it from moving is parent it to the camera. That should fix your moving shadow problem. 

Topics

How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Most Valuable Participant ,
Mar 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not clear what you are saying and your screenshot doesn't help much to clarify things. That said, I think you are falling victim to a misperception or misunderstanding in that you seem to be unaware that any solve with AE's automated 3D tracker is arbitrary and bears no intrinsic realtion to the actual scene. The light is most definitely perfectly static, the scene scale is just way too small so with even the slightes camera move it looks like the light is moving extremely. This can't be fixed easily in AE, so if it realyl is important that the light should behave more controllable you have to move on to a software like SynthEyes where scenes can be calibrated and auxiliary geometry inserted as reference.

Mylenium

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Mar 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

3D camera tracking analyzes the fixed surfaces in a scene and calculates the perspective and parallax shift so that a virtual camera can be created that moves in the same way as the camera that was used to take the shot. Anything that moves in the scene that ends up with tracking markers on it reduces the accuracy of the calculations so those tracking markers need to be removed. Let's talk about your scene:

AE SCREENSHOT.PNG

There is a hand holding a tray with a sphere in it. The light is coming from the window. I  can only guess that  Layer 1- 3D MOVEMENT might be a null created by the Element effect on Layer 4 - ED to control the Spheres movement on the tray. I'm assuming that Layer 5 - Track solid was created by the Camera Tracker and I'm guessing that it may be placed on the tray. I'm assuming that Layer 7 through 10 are required to separate parts of the background from the sphere.

Because you are having problems keeping the light lined up it is telling me that you do not have a good camera track and I expect that to be the case if you left any tracking markers on the hand or tray. Camera tracking only solves the fixed geometry in the scene so anything attached to the hand or tray using the4 tracker will not stick to it.

The solution to getting the light in the right spot is to solve for the camera using only trackers on the fixed geometry, double-check by attaching several place holder solids to the scene and make sure that they stay stuck to the surfaces, make sure you have established a good origin and ground plane and then use a couple of views to help you position the light. That will help you get the lights in the right place, but you lose the ability to stick the Sphere to the tray.

To solve that problem I would probably have used Motion Stabilizing to capture the movement of the tray using two diagonal corners and lock the tray down so that it does not move in the frame. I would then add my 3D object and controller, then use 3 expressions to tie the Anchor Point, Rotation and Scale of the footage layer to the Position, Rotation, and Scale of a new 2D null then parent the EL layer and the footage to the new null to put the movement back in the element layer and the footage. There may not have been any reason at all to use camera tracking on the scene.

If you did manage to get a perfect track of just the tray and the 3D sphere sticks perfectly to the surface You might be able to fix the light problem by attaching the Point of Interest for the light to the null that appears to be kind of lined up (not perfectly by any means) I see outlined on the tray and then move the light over so it is in the right position.

If you can share the entire shot, and it is what I think it is, I can give you the exact workflow I would use for this shot. It wouldn't be anywhere as complex as the comp you have set up.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I forgot to mention that I only Camera tracked the part where the rectangular object is. The Light Track layer is Track that i created and tried to attach the Parallel light to it, but it doesnt stick to it, it still moves with the 3d camera tracker. I just want the Parallel light to be stable. (Video link below)

https://youtu.be/U3II6sBFrW0

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your workflow is flawed. Camera tracking is designed to track camera movement, not object movement. By tracking the surface of the rectangular object you are telling the project that the hand is not moving but the camera is. That is why the shadows are all fouled up. The 3D Camera Tracking in AE works the way it is supposed to, you are just not using the tool in the way it was designed.

The only solution I can think that would preserve the work you have already done would involve using expressions to take the camera movement properties and apply them to a null that you could use to control both the position of the Parallel light and the point of interest of the light. Those calculations are going to be much to complex for me to just figure out in a couple of minutes and post a workflow that will work. Your only hope for a quick solution is to hope that somebody like Dan Ebberts stumbles on this thread and can post a quick solution.

If I get some time maybe I'll try and work up a tutorial on using Camera Tracking to track object motion. I have a feeling that identifying the surface of the Rectangular tray as the origin and ground plane, dropping a solid in the same place, moving everything to Comp Center, then writing expressions that will always point the reference solid at the camera and then converting those expressions to keyframes might be the right way to go. That might be a simple way to get AE's Camera Tracker to track motion in a usable way.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much Rick, parenting Parallel light and Camera worked.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines