Highlighted

Paint on Transparent not working in Clone Stamp Tool

New Here ,
Apr 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there. I've got a layer of video where I want to paint out an object using clone stamp tool, and I'm using a layer below (of the same video) as background. I only want to use the top layer as a paintout. Everything is okay until I tick Paint on Transparent. Then my clone stamp disappears, revealing the object I want to paint out. When I solo the layer, it is just a transparent grid, so no information on it...

Anything I'm doing wrong?

Topics

Error or problem, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Paint on Transparent not working in Clone Stamp Tool

New Here ,
Apr 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there. I've got a layer of video where I want to paint out an object using clone stamp tool, and I'm using a layer below (of the same video) as background. I only want to use the top layer as a paintout. Everything is okay until I tick Paint on Transparent. Then my clone stamp disappears, revealing the object I want to paint out. When I solo the layer, it is just a transparent grid, so no information on it...

Anything I'm doing wrong?

Topics

Error or problem, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Apr 01, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are using the clone tool and you want to use Paint On Transparent you will need a copy of the layer to use as a source for clone source and you will have to have RGBA selected as channels. 

The easiest way to do this is to duplicate the footage layer, name the copy and turn off the visibility of the copy, open up the Paint Workspace, select the original layer, select the Clone tool (CTRL/CMND + b) Select the Source and source options in the Paint Panel, and start painting. You will have to have Paint On Transparent turned to be able to see what you are doing in the layer panel but you will be able to turn it on after you have painted the new strokes. 

If you think about it the requirement for a Source layer makes sense because you need the pixels to sample to come from somewhere. 

If you want to do all of your clone work first you can duplicate the layer later and just point to it in the options in the timeline later.

Screenshot_2020-04-01 07.57.55_XjZI6w.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 01, 2020 0