Highlighted

Parented null generates path

New Here ,
May 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have the following scenario:  2 rotating circles (each moving at different speeds) and a null parented to the smaller circle.
https://prnt.sc/sbppux

Is it possible somehow to generate a path based on that null movement? 

Thanks!

Topics

Expressions

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Parented null generates path

New Here ,
May 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have the following scenario:  2 rotating circles (each moving at different speeds) and a null parented to the smaller circle.
https://prnt.sc/sbppux

Is it possible somehow to generate a path based on that null movement? 

Thanks!

Topics

Expressions

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Most Valuable Participant ,
May 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Write-On on a separate layer linked via expressions or a particle effect that spawns infinitely living particles. the specifics will depend on what you actually use.

Mylenium

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
May 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought about this and probably it works but I thought it might be an easier way. Also, I would like to use trim path to animate that so generating particles it's not the ideal way. 
I've seen this script which seems to be very close to what I want but you don't have a lot of control for that path.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoMNoBl1_cM

https://aescripts.com/trails/ Trails is an add-on for After Effects which creates amazing, fully dynamic trails, swooshes and speed lines. You can set up a T...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Most Valuable Participant ,
May 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems the plug-in (actually a script) seems to exactly do what you want already. for under 20 bucks there certainly would be no harm in buying it even if it may not work out the way you want. Otherwise you have to read up on how to mangle mask and shape layer paths with expressions. Your positions are easily calculated using toComp() and valueAtTime(), but generating hundreds or thousands of points in a shape path will be a pain in the neck due to the evaluation becoming slow as hog.

Mylenium

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no easier way than the script. To do it manually, because there is parenting involved, you need to convert the null's position to comp or world space, then probably convert to keyframes so you can then turn that into a path. If I were to sit down and try to write an expression to turn the movement of the null into a motion path that could generate and animated path it would probably take me a couple of hours, maybe even longer. I know the steps required but I would have to experiment with the expressions and it would get complicated very quickly. Maybe Dan Ebberts could do it in a few minutes, but this is no easy problem to solve, even with a fair amount of experience writing expressions. It's probably the parenting that causes the most problems. 

If you were able to generate the Null's movement with an expression, instead of by parenting then it would be an easy thing to convert the expression to keyframes, copy the keyframes and then paste them to a shape layer path. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines