Highlighted

Particular Path - Problem

New Here ,
Aug 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm trying to get trapcode particular to follow my exact path.

I get the emitter to follow the path more or less, but not the exact lines - the emitter is always  a bit off and sometimes "takes a shortcut". It looks like this:

Emitter.JPG

I tried realigning it with via anchor point but it won't work.

I followed several tuturials but they didn't seem to have the problem.

Can anybody help me?

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Gutterfish | Adobe Community Professional

Hmmm.   I'm using particular v2.6.0.   and on mine the emitter's z position is separate from the x,y position.   Your version seems to have x,y,z  as a single setting.   Have you tried making your null a 3d object?    Also have you tried skipping the null and just pasting the path directly to the x,y position of the emitter.  This works for me but again,  my version of particular has the the emitter's x,y positions as a totally separate setting from the z position..

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Particular Path - Problem

New Here ,
Aug 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm trying to get trapcode particular to follow my exact path.

I get the emitter to follow the path more or less, but not the exact lines - the emitter is always  a bit off and sometimes "takes a shortcut". It looks like this:

Emitter.JPG

I tried realigning it with via anchor point but it won't work.

I followed several tuturials but they didn't seem to have the problem.

Can anybody help me?

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Gutterfish | Adobe Community Professional

Hmmm.   I'm using particular v2.6.0.   and on mine the emitter's z position is separate from the x,y position.   Your version seems to have x,y,z  as a single setting.   Have you tried making your null a 3d object?    Also have you tried skipping the null and just pasting the path directly to the x,y position of the emitter.  This works for me but again,  my version of particular has the the emitter's x,y positions as a totally separate setting from the z position..

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Aug 14, 2017 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Aug 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Particular is a 3D particle system. If things don't line up, your camera is not in the right place and/or the Z coordinates don't match. Start by creating a proper 3D camera and use e.g. light emitters to see the actual 3D path of an emitter.

Mylenium

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 14, 2017 0
New Here ,
Aug 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mylenium,

thanks for the quick answer.

I was actually trying not to use a 3D path.

I am setting up the path by creating a solid, drawing out the path there, copy the mask path to the position of a null object and then pick whip an emitter to it.

(Gutter-Fish, i hope this answers your question as well.)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 14, 2017 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does the null follow the path correctly?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 14, 2017 0
New Here ,
Aug 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, it does.

I also followed this turorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEkuuf0MEFQ&t=208s

After Effects Tutorial: Get Light To Follow A Path - YouTube

Mylenium​:

Interesting thing: The Null Object doesn't have Z - Coordinates, however when I pick whip the emitter to the Null object, it adds Z - Values to the emitter.pck whip.JPG

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 14, 2017 0
Aug 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 14, 2017 0
New Here ,
Aug 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Baaam, you're my hero of the day.

I had to make both - the path layer (from the solid) and the null a 3D object. Now everything works perfect.

Thank you both for your quick help!

Greetz from Germany.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 14, 2017 0
Participant ,
Aug 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want the z position to be zero the all time, change that expression to:

nullp = thisComp.layer("Null 6").transform.position;

[nullp[0],nullp[1],0]

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 14, 2017 2
Aug 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

matthiasm15817953  wrote

you're my hero of the day.

I guess I am sort of a hero, huh?  

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 14, 2017 0
New Here ,
Jun 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you super super please provide more detailed steps to explain this? I have the same problem, and tried the suggestions above, clearly I'm missing something. 

Thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 17, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jun 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Change the Null, Partiular Layer, or Shape Layer to this expression? 

I tried and no resolve 😞

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 17, 2020 0
babynate LATEST
New Here ,
Jun 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SOLUTION: 

Okay you guys already all solved the problem running old versions of trapcode on Adobe, but just wanted to clarify davide_boscolo's solution with: 

Add to existing Trapcode Emitter Position so FULL expression looks like this:

temp = thisComp.layer("Null 6").transform.position; [temp[0], temp[1], temp[1]] nullp = thisComp.layer("Null 6").transform.position; [nullp[0],nullp[1],0]

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 17, 2020 0
Aug 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How are you trying to get the emitter to follow your path?  What steps are you taking?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 14, 2017 0