Highlighted

PCIE SSD vs SSD

New Here ,
May 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quick Question:

I have a Samsung 960 Evo SSD and I am purchasing a 1TB PCIE 970 Evo. Would I benefit more from having the operating system on the SSD and the cache disk on the PCI-E  or the other way around?

The bottle necks on my system would be my render drives as I have a couple of cheaper SSDs.

For my video files I am using a Crucial 2TB SSD and for general use I have a Micron 2TB SSD. I would probably render to the Micron. Would it be worth the money to upgrade those to Samsung EVOs as well?

Thank you for your help!

I have OS on SSD and Cache on NVMe.

The highest reading speeds from Cache I have seen so far under Windows where around 800MB/s for a few seconds. This was when rendering a project with a 16k texture and using two render instances.

In my usual work, I have seen the speeds hardly go above normal SSD speeds.

From my experience, having Cache on a SSD is just fine. Putting it on NVMe has nearly no benefit.

Your render drives are just fine, too. The bottleneck of your rendering won't be the drives, but the rendering itself. AE isn't fast enough to fill up SSD bandwidth.

*Martin

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

PCIE SSD vs SSD

New Here ,
May 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quick Question:

I have a Samsung 960 Evo SSD and I am purchasing a 1TB PCIE 970 Evo. Would I benefit more from having the operating system on the SSD and the cache disk on the PCI-E  or the other way around?

The bottle necks on my system would be my render drives as I have a couple of cheaper SSDs.

For my video files I am using a Crucial 2TB SSD and for general use I have a Micron 2TB SSD. I would probably render to the Micron. Would it be worth the money to upgrade those to Samsung EVOs as well?

Thank you for your help!

The highest reading speeds from Cache I have seen so far under Windows where around 800MB/s for a few seconds. This was when rendering a project with a 16k texture and using two render instances.

From my experience, having Cache on a SSD is just fine. Putting it on NVMe has nearly no benefit.

Your render drives are just fine, too. The bottleneck of your rendering won't be the drives, but the rendering itself. AE isn't fast enough to fill up SSD bandwidth.

*Martin

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
May 12, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We've had this question come up pn numerous occasions. Have you read previous Qs and their answers?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 12, 2020 0
Guide ,
May 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*Martin

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 12, 2020 1