Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

pen tool switches to add vertex tool automatically when making a mask path

New Here ,
Sep 15, 2020 Sep 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pen tool suddenly seems broken and this only happens when making a mask path;

at the first click a vertex is created, at the second click a new vertex with created on the very same vertex that is made from the first click no matter where i click on. At the third click, another vertex is created on the very same point where the first and the second vertex is created and now the path is visible and it appears to be closed at the same time. But it is detected to be a non-closed path when i try and move the vertex with a selection tool. Vertexes are created on random points after the third click and the path also forms a random shape.

It seems that the pen tool switches to the add vertex tool after the first click automatically.

I tried with restarting a computer and even reinstalling and updating the program but it's still not fixed.This problem is only shown on the very project that has the trouble with. i have imported the composition to the new project and the problem is still shown while another composition i made in the new project seems ok.

TOPICS
FAQ , How to , Performance , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 15, 2020 Sep 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens if you use the pen tool to create four points forming a square and then you click the first point again to close the path? Are you using the Alt/Option and Ctrl/Cmnd keys to modify the pen tool to help you adjust the path? When you try and edit existing points to you select the path in the timeline and then change to the selection tool? I'm not seeing any bug or change in behavior and I have not seen any bugs reported.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 17, 2020 Sep 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick. Thank you for your reply first of all.

I didn't use Alt or Ctrl keys and I was only using a mouse. I tried with creating four-point path and I recorded it hoping this helps you see what the problem is. 

   

01.JPG02.JPG

03.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 18, 2020 Sep 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are not holding down the shift key and your mouse/tablet/trackpad is up to date and seems to work fine in other apps I don't know what is going on. This is not a normal bug. Try updating any drivers you have for your pointing device. Try creating a mask on a comp sized solid. Try creating a shape layer with the pen tool. 

Oh, and make sure your version of AE is up to date using the Creative Cloud app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 24, 2022 Oct 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The same issue is happening for me, I'm trying to mask something and every new vertex is snaping to the same location, the tip of the pen tool is making a bunch of bezier handles that come out of those locked vertexs. I did find a "treatment" which isn't a "cure" but holding down the spacebar after creating a new vertex allows it to be moved around, it's diffinitely not effecient, so I'm still in need to a "cure". Oddly enough the pentool is working for other layers, it's just this one layer (which is a duplicated layer) that won't allow new vertexs to be created in new locations. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines