Highlighted

Performance Issues: Older Macbook Pro with Nvidia graphics not compatible with new Adobe/Catalina?

New Here ,
Jun 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there! 

I recently updated to MacOS Catalina and the 2020 versions of Adobe CC. I have an older macbook pro from late 2013 (which has worked beautifully until now) with 16GB RAM and the NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2 GB graphics card. However, my After Effects (which I use almost daily) has slowed to a crawl and I can barely use it! I tried all the usual things (made space on my harddrive, checked for driver updates, cleared cache, etc) but it's not working. I'm not positive if it has to do with the updates (I don't think the issue started right away, but I can't fully remember). Something is going on and I'm not sure what. 

I did some research and learned that the Nvidia card I have might not be compatible with the newer OS and Adobe versions. I should have looked into this more, but when I iniatially looked up the compability of my macbook with Catalina and the new programs, it said it would work - my model was on all the compatibility lists. So, I'm a bit confused where I went wrong, but that being said my question is:

Should I revert to OS Mojave or even High Sierra? And an older version of the Adobe programs? If so, which one? 

Or is there anything else I should try or some setting I'm missing? 

Thank you for all the help!!

TOPICS
Freeze or hang, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Performance Issues: Older Macbook Pro with Nvidia graphics not compatible with new Adobe/Catalina?

New Here ,
Jun 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there! 

I recently updated to MacOS Catalina and the 2020 versions of Adobe CC. I have an older macbook pro from late 2013 (which has worked beautifully until now) with 16GB RAM and the NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2 GB graphics card. However, my After Effects (which I use almost daily) has slowed to a crawl and I can barely use it! I tried all the usual things (made space on my harddrive, checked for driver updates, cleared cache, etc) but it's not working. I'm not positive if it has to do with the updates (I don't think the issue started right away, but I can't fully remember). Something is going on and I'm not sure what. 

I did some research and learned that the Nvidia card I have might not be compatible with the newer OS and Adobe versions. I should have looked into this more, but when I iniatially looked up the compability of my macbook with Catalina and the new programs, it said it would work - my model was on all the compatibility lists. So, I'm a bit confused where I went wrong, but that being said my question is:

Should I revert to OS Mojave or even High Sierra? And an older version of the Adobe programs? If so, which one? 

Or is there anything else I should try or some setting I'm missing? 

Thank you for all the help!!

TOPICS
Freeze or hang, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jun 11, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My MacBook Pro is newer, and my iMac Pro is almost new and as loaded as it can get and neither one of them is on Catalina yet because only about 10% of the software and 3rd party extensions and plug-ins I use have been tested on Catalina. One line of 32-bit code in any app or extension can cause havoc. Only the CC 2020 apps are supposed to be compatible, but I don't trust that yet because Catalina does not include any code at all that allows 16-bit instructions to access anything. That was a major change in the OS and I'm just not ready to risk the update. I would downgrade. My 10.14.6 is working just fine all the way back to the Adobe CC 2018 apps. The only advantage I can see to updating to Catalina is the disk space I would gain after deleting all of my incompatible apps.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 11, 2020 0