• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Pinpointing Exact Frames Based on Time within Original Source.

Participant ,
Jun 15, 2020 Jun 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello.

I have footage that I am using both in Premiere and After Effects. In each app, I need to be able to target the same particular sections within the original footage, down to specific frames referenced within the original source footage. So, for example, I may need to locate the frame at 00:03:42:18 within the original source footage and use that as an in-point in AE or go to that frame to place a keyframe there.

How do I specify the exact frame, as referred to within the original source footage, both in Premiere and in After Effects? *Not* the time in the Sequence or Composition timeline where the cut footage appears, but the time within the footage itself?

Thus far, I’ve been cutting and keyframing the footage just by eyeing the images and sounds onscreen, but I need a precise way to do this.

TOPICS
FAQ , How to , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 15, 2020 Jun 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not clear what you are having issues with. Both Premiere and AE are able to perfectly show the source timecode. So what seems to be the problem?

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 16, 2020 Jun 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Consult the User Guide for Premiere Pro and After Effects to learn about the UI. In After Effects the option to show the original timecode in a footage layer is in the File Interpretation Panel. Select the footage in the Project Panel, press Alt/Option + Ctrl/Cmnd + g, and check the settings.

Screenshot_2020-06-16 00.09.11_FeP48c.png

Read up on Dynamic Link. Replacing a clip in a Premiere Pro sequence with an After Effects composition is the easiest way to keep things in sync.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 16, 2020 Jun 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the tips, Rick. I searched the user guides earlier, before initially posting here, but just didn’t come accross an answer (probably missed it). Can you also let me know exactly where I can have Premiere show the original timecode?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines