Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Pixelated vectors in after effects

Community Beginner ,
Mar 13, 2020 Mar 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all !

Fairly new to after effects, I'm working on a composition from Illustrator files. My composition resolution is set to full (zoomed at 100%), and I've turned on continuous rasterization. Still, my logo comes out pixelated. I've checked the source files, all are set to correct color mode and ppi.

Any recommendations ?

issue.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you supply a larger screen grab, say fullscreen, to see what you've got going on on the timeline?

Might be able to help then once we can see what's going on in there.

G

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

issue2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's 999x527 - That's really small.  Can you send a full size screebgrab?  Are you on a MAC or a PC?  If you press print on PC keyboard that will copy your screen to a buffer.  Open paint then press ctrl+v to paste it to an image and then save the result and post it here.

command+shift+4 will do the same on a MAC if that helps.

G

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The reason we're asking for this is because nothing looks wrong on the timeline.  What you have done seems correct.

It might be a resolution issue with your computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

issue3.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue is not specific to one screen. I'm working on a full hd laptop. But same issue persisted when I opened the project on my pc. My monitor is 4k

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you got Retina Display monitor? Because it depends too of the screen resolution of your monitor. Tell us screen resolution please.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The red shape on the left looks okay to me, but there is alaising on the letters to the right. This comes from overlapping shapes (black and red), where the paths are exactly over each other. You should avoid this by all means.

The easiest will be to remove the red in AI, duplicate the now only black font and but a red shape layer between. Finally you use the upper black front as track matte (alpha) to the red shape layer. Should result in the visual same outcome, but prevent the alaising.

You can also split the text in red and black parts - so these are 2 seperated layers in AI without overlapping parts.

Please also keep in mind that AI work with vectors as they are, but AE have to rasterize them. To come close to the sharp edges of AI, you need to make your artwork pixel-perfect, meaning that all paths and especially anchors align with the pixel grid. AE will interpolate and use anti-alaising as soon as a pixel is not 100% "full", resulting in blured edges.

Also your image as strong contrasts which makes the anti-alaising more visible. I suggest you try a light gray background - 100% white is always a bit unpleasent, no matter is in cinema or on the screen at home.

*Martin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The red beneath the wordmark you see is a shape layer in AE, and yes, I have used alpha matte on it. This is the result. Also, it's not upto me to chose the colors on the art, I'm only supposed to animate what I have.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Mar 14, 2020 Mar 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would try to mask the text again with the shape, so you have the red and the black part seperated.

If the text still looks pixellated, recreate it in AE ifself.

If those are the colors and artwork you have to work with, you cannot do much more to improve I think. If the artwork is not pixel perfect, edges are blurred, and if colors have to be high contrast, anti-alaising is more visible.

*Martin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 16, 2020 Mar 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe you could get the person who created the Illutrator files to resize them for you, so that you can then scale them down rather than scale them up?

Just a thought.

G

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 17, 2020 Apr 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am faced same problem , are you find the solution for ? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines