• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Playback in After Effects does not function unless composition is duplicated

New Here ,
Sep 03, 2020 Sep 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this is a somewhat common issue, as I've encountered it before on occasion and found multiple threads before regarding similar issues. Usually when the issue pops up, I just restart After Effects and the issue goes away, but now it is permanent. 

The issue: When trying to playback, the hand tool is selected and/or the timeline skips backwards a frame. composition does not play.

What I've tried:
restarting after effects
changing audio remapping
updating after effects

restarting the computer
purging media/disc cache
reinstalling GPU drivers

The one that worked: duplicating the composition
I was able to find a (hopefully permanent) fix for this, but I would really appreciate it if Adobe could look into this issue further and find a way to prevent it, as I know others have had similar issues

Edit: this only worked for about 20 minutes before the problem reappeared, and trying to duplicate the layer again did not fix it this time

TOPICS
Audio , Error or problem , Performance , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 04, 2020 Sep 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you actually checked your physical drive space? This very much sounds like the relevant cache locations get blocked/ fill up/ get corrupted and AE can only generate a cache to a fresh location, which may indicate an issue with your storage device and its driver...

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

do you know where I can find the directory for the cache so I can clear it properly? 
Edit: found the directory, not sure how to empty the files manually without messing something up though

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi mf99k,

You can remove the media cache from the After Effects preferences > Media & Disk Cache. If clearing the cache doesn't help, try changing its location and see if that brings any change.

remove media cache.png

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

Nishu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've done both of those options already, but I will try to create a new directory and see if that helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 06, 2020 Sep 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked temporarily, no issues for about 5 hours but now the problem is back

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 08, 2020 Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Would you mind sharing your system specifications (CPU, GPU, RAM) and a screenshot of preferences > Media & Disk Cache? Also, could you check After Effects in a new user account with admin rights to see if it's an issue with the user account?

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

Nishu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines