• ķ•œźµ­ ģ»¤ė®¤ė‹ˆķ‹°
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Playback On Second Monitor Stuttering/Slow

New Here ,
Apr 29, 2020 Apr 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all, long time listener, first time caller here...

I work in local TV news promotions/creative services, and I'm working at home right now. Our station wasn't prepared for this, so I'm working with all of my own personal gear. I encountered a weird problem today-

My set-up - I am running Ae (as well as Pr, Ps & Ai) 2020 on a Surface Book 2 with 8Gb of RAM. All projects are running off a 1Tb external SSD. I am running a second monitor (1080p 23.5" ViewSonic) with a USB-C to HDMI cable. Everything runs surprisingly well - video plays smoothy to the second monitor from Pr and my previews run just as well in Ae. I am NOT a Windows guy. I've been a Mac guy since Apple IIGS. My old Mac crapped out and I thought I'd give Windows a try to get familiar with it, if anything for job security. By the way, a new Mac is on it's way.

My problem - Starting this afternoon, when I do a RAM preview in AeE, the playback (in the second monitor) stutters. Or rather, it plays back at half-time. That's the best way to describe it.  It looks like it's playing slower with a reduced framerate. When I go back to single-screen mode, it plays fine in the laptop monitor. For what it's worth, I tested Pr and it still plays back perfectly in the second monitor.

What changed - I was Zooming with my boss early this morning and we were trying to figure out if I could screenshare Ae playback good enough for animation concept approval. I set Ae's UI to single screen mode so everything was in the main monitor. He didn't care for the playback through Zoom, so we abandoned it. It was only after I went back to dual-screen mode in Ae that I started having this playback issue.

What I tried - Clearing all AE caches, resetting AE preferences, resetting my computer and updating AE through CC. I opened older projects to make sure it wasn't a project-specific thing and all older projects suffer the same playback issue now as well.

Any help anyone can offer is appreciated. I don't know Windows well enough to troubleshoot this very deeply, if this is a Windows thing at all.

TOPICS
Error or problem , Performance , Preview , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 30, 2020 Apr 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Update - This morning I completely deleted After Effects and all preferences associated with it (using the uninstaller). I reinstalled the app, opened it and arranged my composition monitor in my second screen. I opened a project, previewed it, and encountered the same problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines