• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

poor quality despite imported Illustrator file

New Here ,
Nov 05, 2020 Nov 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I work with an Illustrator file in after effects, which has many layers and gradients in it.

the quality is very poor, which is strange, because these are vector drawings, and should be not pixelated.

quality and sampling, composition-layer and resolution is on max. Also when i export, everything is on max.

Does anyone knows, where is the mistake?

Glad for help!!

TOPICS
Error or problem , How to , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, this will never work. You used gradients and blends extensively, which in Illustrator itself get flattened/ rasterized to pixel data. This isn't AE's fault. That being the case, the usual tricks like continuous rasterization and so on won't work. You have to check the document settings in AI, the document raster DPI settings for effects and such and actually size the artwork to the desired dimensions in a 72 DPI document or export to a suitable pixel-format in the first place like a PSD or TIFF. Otherwise you have to strip all your gradients and import the plain vector file into AE to re-create everything there if you so desire. Again, not AE's fault, just an inherent thing with how AI handles this stuff.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot for your answer!

i replaced the main picture (which is static in the animation and has the most gradients) by a png high res (600dpi).

But the quality stays pretty much the same.

i`m just wondering, how they do high res. Animations for big screens??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AE doesn't care for DPI. Only absolute pixels matter. A tiny image at 600 DPI might still be tiny if it originated from a 1x1 inch document or something liek that. So start by making sure your actual pixel dimensions in AI are sufficient, i.e. at least 1920 x 1080 pixels for a full HD document. Also keep in mind that in AI itself export to pixel based formats like PNG will require the document DPI to be set to 72. That's a limitation/ bug in how AI handles web exports. Otherwise choose a more robust format that actually honors DPI flags like PSD or TIFF via the regular File --> Export as I was already suggesting, not Save for Web.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AAhh! Thanks alot.

okey i figured out with your help.

i did two mistakes:

The Illustration was made for print. I had to create a new file for web with 1920 x 1080 pixels for a full HD, then paste the illustrator drawing there. 

The second mistake was, i imported this Illustrator file to After Effects with that print A5 Settings - no high res web settings.

Uff okey.

Thanks!

i try now the easiest way to replace stuff.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cropped screenshots are usually useless for diagnosing problems but yours gives me a clue. This is a typical newbie mistake. You have set the Magnification Ratio for the comp panel to something over 400%. Video is and always be pixels and the Magnification Ratio allows you to zoom in on those pixels to see the edges. Set the Comp panel resolution to Auto and the Magnification Ratio to 100% to see the actual pixels and all of those terrible artifacts will go away. 

If you check the file in Illustrator and you turn on Pixel Preview and zoom in on the view to 400% or more you'll see the same thing. There is no error that I see.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

you are right:/

the settings in illustrator were made for print A5.

So i had naturally very bad pixel settings for web.

oooh i hope there is an easy way, to replace the Illustrator layers in the animated after effect video...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines