Highlighted

Position layers in a composition

New Here ,
Jul 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working with this Adobe tutorial in After Effects - "Position layers in a composition".

I have built my composition as instructed in the tutorial before; I have a background mp.4, a solid with opacity set at 80% (as instructed), and a graphic layer for a logo. I am attempting to practice resizing and moving the logo. Each time I click on the Select Tool, and go over to the logo, the entire frame is selected, not the logo itself. I have highlighted the logo in the timeline, and still have the same thing happen. I've gone over and over this tutorial, following each step (as well as redoing the prior one, to make certain my settings match), and still, the entire frame selects, not the logo.

The positioning is:     APEAK_Logo_Flat.ai

Green

Summer_Forest.mp4

This matches precisely what is being shown in the tutorial, but I still cannot select the logo. I am on the most recent version of AE, updated yesterday. I am new to this world, but cannot find out what I am doing wrong. Any help?

Thanks,

Anne

Topics

Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Position layers in a composition

New Here ,
Jul 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working with this Adobe tutorial in After Effects - "Position layers in a composition".

I have built my composition as instructed in the tutorial before; I have a background mp.4, a solid with opacity set at 80% (as instructed), and a graphic layer for a logo. I am attempting to practice resizing and moving the logo. Each time I click on the Select Tool, and go over to the logo, the entire frame is selected, not the logo itself. I have highlighted the logo in the timeline, and still have the same thing happen. I've gone over and over this tutorial, following each step (as well as redoing the prior one, to make certain my settings match), and still, the entire frame selects, not the logo.

The positioning is:     APEAK_Logo_Flat.ai

Green

Summer_Forest.mp4

This matches precisely what is being shown in the tutorial, but I still cannot select the logo. I am on the most recent version of AE, updated yesterday. I am new to this world, but cannot find out what I am doing wrong. Any help?

Thanks,

Anne

Topics

Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are having problems with a tutorial we really need to see a link to the tutorial. A lot of the new tutorials on YouTube are from enthusiasts and a lot of the workflows are not well explained or well thought out. You really need to vet your trainers. Make sure they know what they are talking about.

If you cannot select a layer in the timeline then it is locked. If you cannot select a layer in the Composition panel then there is a layer above it that is causing the problems. We can't know what is going on in your comp without a screenshot that shows the modified properties of the layers that are giving you problems. Select the layers, press 'uu', and take a screenshot. Embed the screenshot in the forum using the toolbar so we can see what is going on.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. The tutorial is Adobe, under the name given. -->  https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/how-to/create-composition-animation.html?playlist=/services/pl...

I was able to figure out the problem this morning after walking away from it. The assets provided for the tutorial practice runs do not match the assets used in the tutorial. The APeak logo on the tutorial has a small layout, easily discernible within the layers. The assets provided to me of the APeak logo had large margins, matching those of the other layers, thereby appearing to not select at all, the display simply looked like a layer other than the logo was selected. The tutorials are nice, a little rushed, but when interfaces and provided assets do not match, it can become very problematic for a newbie like me.

Thank you again for your response.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm beginning to discover these inconsistencies in other Adobe tutorials. The 3rd on the page (link provided above) sports another problem. The goal is to learn how to animate text and graphics on a page. In the tutorial, the logo is comprised of a text file, and a graphics file; they are then used to create an animation, in which forst the graphic, then the text, fly in. As my screenshot indicates, in the assets provided the logo contains text and graphic in a single file, rendering it impossible (at the level of this tutorial) to fly in first the graphics, then the text.

Is there a location to report bugs in tutorials? These problems make it very difficult to learn the program.

Thanks,

AnneScreen Shot 2020-07-02 at 10.45.33 AM.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines