Positioning 3D Objects in place

New Here ,
May 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone:

I am trying to create a video clip like this one:

ezgif.com-video-to-gif.gif

When I try doing this in AE, my map pins do not stay in the same place. For example, if you look at the Tokyo pin (in red box) in the first few frames of the video, the pin points to Tokyo.

First few frames of the video: the pin is over TokyoFirst few frames of the video: the pin is over Tokyo

A few frames later, the pin is no longer over Tokyo (see red box), it has shifted up.

A few frames later, the pin is no longer over Tokyo.A few frames later, the pin is no longer over Tokyo.

Here is my configuration in AE. All the elements below are 3D objects.

a6515beece632d402c5517308bea52cc

How can I make the pins stay in place? Thanks!!

PremiumBeat: http://bit.ly/2T89vxN - Create a world map animation and add custom markers with details around your map. You'll be able to zoom into any region...
TOPICS
FAQ, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Positioning 3D Objects in place

New Here ,
May 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone:

I am trying to create a video clip like this one:

ezgif.com-video-to-gif.gif

When I try doing this in AE, my map pins do not stay in the same place. For example, if you look at the Tokyo pin (in red box) in the first few frames of the video, the pin points to Tokyo.

First few frames of the video: the pin is over TokyoFirst few frames of the video: the pin is over Tokyo

A few frames later, the pin is no longer over Tokyo (see red box), it has shifted up.

A few frames later, the pin is no longer over Tokyo.A few frames later, the pin is no longer over Tokyo.

Here is my configuration in AE. All the elements below are 3D objects.

a6515beece632d402c5517308bea52cc

How can I make the pins stay in place? Thanks!!

PremiumBeat: http://bit.ly/2T89vxN - Create a world map animation and add custom markers with details around your map. You'll be able to zoom into any region...
TOPICS
FAQ, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
May 23, 2020 0
Guide ,
May 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Parent the pins to your map and the map to the null for easier handling.

Also pay attention to put the pins on the map-plane, don't let them float above it. Check the alignment in side view (left or right).

*Martin

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 23, 2020 0
New Here ,
May 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the response. I checked the left view and I think (?) my pin is not floating above  the map-plane (I might be wrong though).

Left view - first frame - the pin is sitting on the map plane

Untitled.png

A few frames later:

Untitled2.png

The map pins still don't stay in place though.... am I doing anything wrong? Thanks!!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 23, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The layers are not staying in place because the coordinates don't line up properly in 3D space. Hole your finger out in front of your face, then move your head around and look at how the finger floats over the background. The same thing is happening here. It's called parallax. 

You have to make sure the pins are attached to the surface of the map, not floating above it. That will be easier to do if the Anchor Point for your pin graphic is right at the bottom point of the pin.  You can then attach the pin to the map's anchor Point easily by holding down the Shift key and parenting the pin to the map. Then you remove the parent, stand the pin-up and face the camera using the rotation controls, then with the selection tool options set to Local Axis view you can drag the pin around on the map until it lines up with the right location.

This is even easier if your map layer is at comp center and you rotate the map layer -90º in X, then set up a comp camera and move it into position so you get a good view of the map. You can then add your pins with the anchor point at the point and just move them around in X and Z space. They will always be stuck to the surface of the map.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 23, 2020 0