• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Pre Comp vs. Pre Render , what do you use?

Advocate ,
Sep 29, 2020 Sep 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Is it more efficient to Pre Comp multiple comps to orgranize your project...

OR

Pre Render all those comps and make one tidy new avi file?

When all the editing is done on a comp, what's better for faster performance?

Thanks!

Letty

TOPICS
FAQ , How to , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 29, 2020 Sep 29, 2020

There is no single answer to your question, as all jobs are different. But here are some thoughts.

Retaining a Precomp gives you easy flexibility to make changes within the Precomp.  If things are likely to change, it may be easier to keep it that way.  

If your Precomp content is complex, or contains many layers, it probably takes a fair while to render.  Pre-rendering the content will almost certainly improve your preview render times while you work.  I recently worked on some complicated

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no single answer to your question, as all jobs are different. But here are some thoughts.

Retaining a Precomp gives you easy flexibility to make changes within the Precomp.  If things are likely to change, it may be easier to keep it that way.  

If your Precomp content is complex, or contains many layers, it probably takes a fair while to render.  Pre-rendering the content will almost certainly improve your preview render times while you work.  I recently worked on some complicated comps with a sports stadium background.  Because of Covid we couldn't shoot extras in a stadium, so I shot a few individuals on green screen and comped them into the empty stadium seats.  The finished comp had 300 video layers of keyed sports fans. It took about 45 minutes to render 5 seconds of content, so it was hugely beneficial for me to pre-render it.  That way I could work on the foreground components and preview quite quickly.

If your Precomp is not particularly complex, or doesn't contain many layers, it may not add much efficiency to pre-render it.  

Hard drive speed is quite important if you're rendering content with many layers of video footage.  If you have slow hard drives and a complex project with many video layers, the hard drive may slow you down.  This can make pre-rendering beneficial: its better to be reading one video file instead of 20.  But if your precomp is all graphic elements and doesn't constantly use the hard drive, pre-rendering to a slow hard drive may slow your previews down.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Great answer, thanks! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would agree with u if you keep the origional comps nested in folders in case for any future editing to the proejct

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines