Highlighted

Prevent Object Flipping AE

Community Beginner ,
Sep 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using a train to follow a path created in a shape layer.  The train keeps flipping on what appears to be the axis around corners after I pick "Auto Orient, Orient along Path".   I have enclosed the example. 

Is there a way to prevent this?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Prevent Object Flipping AE

Community Beginner ,
Sep 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using a train to follow a path created in a shape layer.  The train keeps flipping on what appears to be the axis around corners after I pick "Auto Orient, Orient along Path".   I have enclosed the example. 

Is there a way to prevent this?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 09, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Sep 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perfectly normal. That's that old Euler vs. Quarternion thing. It's called "auto-orient(ation)" after all and behaves the same as the respective property on 3D layers therefore. There are several expression-based solutions for this in volving defining a custom "up-vector" and there are canned script solutions on AEScripts.com as well. Check this stuff out in a quick visit or web search and pick your favorite

Mylenium

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 09, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Sep 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What keyword would you recommend for that under that site?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 09, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it necessary for the train layer to be 3D?

You are experiencing Gimbal Lock because the motion path is in the X, Y plane. You can eliminate this problem if you add a 3D null to the scene, parent all the 3D layers to the null including the camera to the null, rotate the null -90º in X, then release the parenting. The camera is now pointing straight down, the motion is confined to the X, Z plane, and the gimbal lock that is causing your layer to flip over when you orient along the path is gone. You just have to rotate the Train layer -90º in X and if needed 90º in Z. That's all there is to it.

Screenshot_2020-09-09 13.35.19_LrWriv.png

You could also copy the motion path to a null layer, set up a position, and a look at expression to point the train layer at the null, but that's a lot more work. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 09, 2020 0