• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Preventing a Mask From Animating

Community Beginner ,
Aug 19, 2010 Aug 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This should be pretty simple, but I'm having no luck.

I selected a layer with some text on and then created a mask over it making the text invisible.

Then when I want to animate the text and move it from behind the mask so it's now visible the mask moves with it. Is there any way to keep the mask in it's place and not move with the text.

I also tried creating a mask layer not attached to the text layer itself, but that wasn't working either. I couldn't get the mask to hide or reveal anything.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Ray

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 19, 2010 Aug 19, 2010

Create a comp size solid above your text layer.  Apply the mask to the solid.  Set the Track Matte setting of your text layer to Alpha Matte.  The text layer will now adopt the alpha channel of the masked solid.  You can freely animate the text and mask independently.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Create a comp size solid above your text layer.  Apply the mask to the solid.  Set the Track Matte setting of your text layer to Alpha Matte.  The text layer will now adopt the alpha channel of the masked solid.  You can freely animate the text and mask independently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Andrew. Brilliant suggestion!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 11, 2017 Jul 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Helpfull..:)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 01, 2018 Mar 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any other way to prevent the mask from animating as all the other elements on the screen are also hiding with this technique.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 01, 2018 Mar 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Share fullnscreenshots to explain your issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 14, 2020 Mar 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This feels like way too many steps. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 28, 2020 Aug 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, Andrew it doesn't work. It is not the correct answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 06, 2020 Dec 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edit to Andrew's method...

Create a comp size solid above your text layer.

Make the colour fill white (FFFFFF).

Turn Blending Mode to Multiply.

Apply the mask to the solid.

Set the Track Matte setting of your text layer to Alpha Matte.

And that seems to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The highlighted steps here are unnecessary.  Just turn off the visibility of the matte (upper) layer.

After Effects automaticall turns off the matte layer visibility when you turn on the Track Matte function, for this very reason.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Andrew. I was having the same problems as others until I found this thread and came up with my work-around. I'm a total AE newbie, but fairly proficient in Photoshop. I didn't know or realize that you could turn off the visibility of the upper layer and still have it function, so all I was getting was a masked solid covering what I was trying to animate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 05, 2016 Mar 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been trying to figure this out for the past 2 hours. For any beginners like myself I will explain Ray's wonderful tactic, broken down to the most minute of details.

1.Make a shape layer where you want your text to appear

2.Move that layer directly above the text layer
3.Right click the text layer, hover over mask and then click new mask

4.Click on your text layer and go into the layer flyout at the top of the screen

6.Click track matte then, alpha

7.Move the text in and out of where the shape layer, (now mask), is to reveal and hide

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 12, 2016 May 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This breakdown was incredibly helpful. Thanks Michelle!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is effectively the same answer as my own above - it simply uses a Shape layer instead of a Solid layer.  You can use any layer as a Matte source, so long as it has an alpha channel.

I don't understand the purpose of point 3 in this breakdown, however.  Why are you adding amask to the text layer?

Edit - LOL.  Just realised how old this thread is.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 15, 2021 Feb 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Probably true, the difference is this solution is broken down by how to find the elements and flyout selections. For new folks (like me) that's super helpful. 

I wasn't able to follow your solution because I didn't know how to find "track matte".

Also - yeah. Replying delayed haha - but shows how this question still exists!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 27, 2022 Jan 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2022 and still bringing this question up -- cuz there's always another noob!! (me!!)

I'm trying to make this technique work but the matte window on the separate shape layer  keeps changing size and position when I apply it to the layer I want to mask. I edit the mask shape and it doesn't move or change in any way. I'm definitely missing something! Anyone still monitoring this? Any help??

Screenshot 1.pngScreenshot 2.pngScreenshot 3.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 11, 2022 May 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I struggle with the same thing! It's not a text layer I am trying to mask, it's a picture layer. I want an icon to appear and i cannot get the 'window'  to work. The mask keeps moving with my layer and i have tried all options in this thread, but i cannot get the layer to appear, because the mask keeps moving. 

I think i've been googling for more than an hour now and watched 10 videos, none address this question 😞 if anyone could help that would be great. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 15, 2020 Jun 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a heads up -- a really simple solution I figured out because as a noob I did not understand andrews method: pre-compose your text layer and add a mask to the pre-composed layer as you did before. The mask will not take on the animation any longer. Cheers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 11, 2022 May 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You should check out 7 minute tutorials on YouTube. The guy just did an amazing tutorial on how to hide and reveal text without the use of any solid or shape. It uses the text animator. It's super powerful.  The correct answer was also correct though.

This tutorial will blow you away. I never knew you could do this. It doesn't work in very specific cases, but  for general and most uses, it is flawless !  - Watch the tutorial, then try it. I now use this all the time.

Text Animator HACKS for Alpha Mattes in AE - Adobe After Effects Discussion

P.S. - the guy also has a follow up video where he answers questions from viewers about the technique... it was posted not long after he posted this tutorial.   P.S. This guy knows his stuff, his channel should have a lot more followers than it does.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines