Highlighted

Preventing a Mask From Animating

Community Beginner ,
Aug 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This should be pretty simple, but I'm having no luck.

I selected a layer with some text on and then created a mask over it making the text invisible.

Then when I want to animate the text and move it from behind the mask so it's now visible the mask moves with it. Is there any way to keep the mask in it's place and not move with the text.

I also tried creating a mask layer not attached to the text layer itself, but that wasn't working either. I couldn't get the mask to hide or reveal anything.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Ray

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Andrew Yoole | Adobe Community Professional

Create a comp size solid above your text layer.  Apply the mask to the solid.  Set the Track Matte setting of your text layer to Alpha Matte.  The text layer will now adopt the alpha channel of the masked solid.  You can freely animate the text and mask independently.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Preventing a Mask From Animating

Community Beginner ,
Aug 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This should be pretty simple, but I'm having no luck.

I selected a layer with some text on and then created a mask over it making the text invisible.

Then when I want to animate the text and move it from behind the mask so it's now visible the mask moves with it. Is there any way to keep the mask in it's place and not move with the text.

I also tried creating a mask layer not attached to the text layer itself, but that wasn't working either. I couldn't get the mask to hide or reveal anything.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Ray

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Andrew Yoole | Adobe Community Professional

Create a comp size solid above your text layer.  Apply the mask to the solid.  Set the Track Matte setting of your text layer to Alpha Matte.  The text layer will now adopt the alpha channel of the masked solid.  You can freely animate the text and mask independently.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Aug 19, 2010 1
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 19, 2010 8
Community Beginner ,
Aug 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Andrew. Brilliant suggestion!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 19, 2010 0
New Here ,
Jul 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Helpfull..:)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 11, 2017 0
New Here ,
Mar 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any other way to prevent the mask from animating as all the other elements on the screen are also hiding with this technique.

Thanks

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 01, 2018 1
Most Valuable Participant ,
Mar 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Share fullnscreenshots to explain your issue.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 01, 2018 0
New Here ,
Mar 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This feels like way too many steps. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 14, 2020 0
New Here ,
Aug 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, Andrew it doesn't work. It is not the correct answer.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 28, 2020 0
New Here ,
Mar 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been trying to figure this out for the past 2 hours. For any beginners like myself I will explain Ray's wonderful tactic, broken down to the most minute of details.

1.Make a shape layer where you want your text to appear

2.Move that layer directly above the text layer
3.Right click the text layer, hover over mask and then click new mask

4.Click on your text layer and go into the layer flyout at the top of the screen

6.Click track matte then, alpha

7.Move the text in and out of where the shape layer, (now mask), is to reveal and hide

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 05, 2016 10
New Here ,
May 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This breakdown was incredibly helpful. Thanks Michelle!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 12, 2016 1
Community Beginner ,
Jun 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a heads up -- a really simple solution I figured out because as a noob I did not understand andrews method: pre-compose your text layer and add a mask to the pre-composed layer as you did before. The mask will not take on the animation any longer. Cheers!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 15, 2020 1