Highlighted

Preview Lags Per Effect

Explorer ,
Apr 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having some preview lag, can't really do what I want anymore. (Surface Pro4 with 4GB RAM and 8GB desktop). I have emptied the cache, and optimized what I can for speed, but obviously I have to upgrade. In the meantime:

Do more complex Effects like Particle World or Turbulent Noise use more resources than animating the Position or along a path? Based on below videos that seems to be the case. Is there a way to tell how much bandwidth an effect uses?

The first snowfall animation was made using positioning, the second uses CC Particle World. I had no preview lag issues making the first animation, even though the jeep and text are animated as well. Yet the second animation, a very flat vector-based image with snowfall created using CC Particle World has impossible preview lag times. It's 23MB compared to 3.5MB for jeep animation. Both are 800px wide.

Topics

Preview

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Preview Lags Per Effect

Explorer ,
Apr 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having some preview lag, can't really do what I want anymore. (Surface Pro4 with 4GB RAM and 8GB desktop). I have emptied the cache, and optimized what I can for speed, but obviously I have to upgrade. In the meantime:

Do more complex Effects like Particle World or Turbulent Noise use more resources than animating the Position or along a path? Based on below videos that seems to be the case. Is there a way to tell how much bandwidth an effect uses?

The first snowfall animation was made using positioning, the second uses CC Particle World. I had no preview lag issues making the first animation, even though the jeep and text are animated as well. Yet the second animation, a very flat vector-based image with snowfall created using CC Particle World has impossible preview lag times. It's 23MB compared to 3.5MB for jeep animation. Both are 800px wide.

Topics

Preview

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you new to video production? 800 pixels is a very odd, non-standard frame size. Unless you are an expert working to produce something for a specific playback platform you should be using the presets for Composition size and frame rate.

How are you rendering? Again, unless you and an expert you should be using the standard h.264 presets found in the Adobe Media Encoder for rendering. I ask that question because of the apparent concern about file size.

The most obvious reason for the performance slowdown is the particle system. Every one of the particles is a separate calculation. A Surface Pro 4 is just a glorified tablet and it may or may not meet the minimum system requirements for AE. If you are planning on doing any real production on HD projects you need a professional level laptop with at least 16GB of ram and a real GPU card not an integrated GPU like most base level laptops have. If you plan on working on 4K projects you need a powerful professional-level laptop with a lot more horsepower and if you can 32GB of ram and a powerful GPU.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
jcalcina LATEST
Explorer ,
Apr 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My issue is with preview.

I'm self-taught, so I pick up bits and pieces along the way. Working in a vacuum, any perspective is helpful.

I don't work with movies. I create illustrations and animate them with AE, as I learn this great program. So far, 4 and 8 gigs has't been much of an issue. It should be noted the latest upgrades seem to even challenge those with 16 gigs. 

As someone who dabbles in web development, bandwidth considerations are always of interest. That is why I design with vector as much as possible. If it's going to be viewed on smartphones the smaller the better, I'm not designing for large screens.

People who work with real video probably have an entirely different perspective, and those who work in industry even more so. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines