Highlighted

Previews not working intermittently (plus Toggle Mask and Shape Path Visibility issues)

Contributor ,
Sep 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been noticing for the last few weeks that sometimes when I try to preview my composition, it just won't play and the playhead doesn't move. It doesn't matter what's in the comp (video, shape, etc.) it just refuses to play.

Things I tried that didn't work:

- Murcury Software Only

- Murcury GPU Acceleration (CUDA)

- Purge all memory and disk cache

- Every setting on the preview player

- Audio Hardware properly set to speakers

A weird thing I noticed when it gets into this state is the "Toggle Mask and Shape Path Visibility" will  toggle on and off depending where I click on the screen. It could be on, and then when I click on Premiere Pro on the other monitor, it will suddenly toggle off. Then I click back into After Effects and it's still off until I actually click on the timeline to move the playhead... suddenly it will toggle back on.

The only thing that works is closing and re-opening the project. But it eventually goes back into that weird state whete ot can't play and the toggle mask randomly turns off and on.

I updated to the latest version but it didn't fix it.

Anybody else have this problem?

Topics

Preview

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Previews not working intermittently (plus Toggle Mask and Shape Path Visibility issues)

Contributor ,
Sep 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been noticing for the last few weeks that sometimes when I try to preview my composition, it just won't play and the playhead doesn't move. It doesn't matter what's in the comp (video, shape, etc.) it just refuses to play.

Things I tried that didn't work:

- Murcury Software Only

- Murcury GPU Acceleration (CUDA)

- Purge all memory and disk cache

- Every setting on the preview player

- Audio Hardware properly set to speakers

A weird thing I noticed when it gets into this state is the "Toggle Mask and Shape Path Visibility" will  toggle on and off depending where I click on the screen. It could be on, and then when I click on Premiere Pro on the other monitor, it will suddenly toggle off. Then I click back into After Effects and it's still off until I actually click on the timeline to move the playhead... suddenly it will toggle back on.

The only thing that works is closing and re-opening the project. But it eventually goes back into that weird state whete ot can't play and the toggle mask randomly turns off and on.

I updated to the latest version but it didn't fix it.

Anybody else have this problem?

Topics

Preview

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

Sorry for your issue with After Effects. We'd need more information to troubleshoot the issue properly.

Would you mind sharing your system specifications (CPU, GPU, RAM, OS version)? Are you using any third-party plug-in? Also, please check if it's happening with all the project files or a particular one?

Preview related issues are usually caused by GPU drivers. Please make sure that your GPU drivers are updated.

We're here to help, just need more info.

Thanks,

Nishu

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like it's a GPU issue. What are your system specs?

And add in your Preview and Comp Settings - screen caps will be good.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines