Highlighted

Problem with mask selection

New Here ,
May 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

I'm having troubles with mask selection in After effects. I made a video to illustrate.

I first select the right corner point without any problem, I'm moving back in my timeline, one frame, still good. Moving again and now you see that when I attempt to select any point, it always move all the mask. Sometimes the problem comes with the pen tool, I can't create a new mask on my layer, it always create a new point on the existing one.

It doesn't happen often but when it does, it's a real nightmare. I can close after effects, clean the cache, etc. Nothing works, so thanks for your help !

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Problem with mask selection

New Here ,
May 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

I'm having troubles with mask selection in After effects. I made a video to illustrate.

I first select the right corner point without any problem, I'm moving back in my timeline, one frame, still good. Moving again and now you see that when I attempt to select any point, it always move all the mask. Sometimes the problem comes with the pen tool, I can't create a new mask on my layer, it always create a new point on the existing one.

It doesn't happen often but when it does, it's a real nightmare. I can close after effects, clean the cache, etc. Nothing works, so thanks for your help !

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
May 13, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you moved the CTI (time indicator) and clicked the second time the cursor did not change to the white short arrow so clicking on the layer selects the layer and moves it. You have to pay close attention to the cursor. If you have the small black arrow you should be able to select a path segment or a vertex. You can only drag a selection around one or more points with the small white arrow is visible.

I prefer to use the pen tool (g) and the Alt/Option and Ctrl/Cmnd modifier keys to edit masks most of the time. You cannot move the layer with the pen tool. The same rule applies, you have to carefully observe the cursor.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 13, 2020 0
New Here ,
May 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Rick_Gerard and thank you for you quick answer.

I already saw your advice in a previous post, but it didn't work even if I used the pen tool and Alt/Ctrl keys.

The thing is that I don't understand why the select tool works at frame (let's say) 46, works as well at frame 45... And suddenly decide to make this "layer selection" at frame 44 ! There's no obvious reason for that, in my opinion.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 13, 2020 0