Exit

Problem with preview with specific files only

Community Beginner ,
Oct 13, 2020 Oct 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have an issue with AE file. 

It is full of expressions an 3D objects in it along with glows and shadows. It has those plugins:

Screenshot 2020-10-13 at 17.34.09.png

When I am opening the file it is impossible to preview anything. It is very very slow....

It is so slow that I can't see how the animation is looking until I make a render and see the actual movie file. 

4 other people on the same or similar computer specs don't have those problems at all (I have seen shared screens as I couldnt believe it and I needed a proof 😉

Render time - on my machine over 3 hours. On other people - 30-40 minutes.

Yesterday I wiped my computer - reinstalled the system and AE and didn't install other plugins apart from the above and still the same results. I opened the file before installing those plugin - the same result.

My computer specs:

Screenshot 2020-10-13 at 17.41.16.png

It is a new machine - I have it for over a month but I am starting to thing that it might be a hardware problem?

I have opened different files I was working on like 3 weeks and those are running just fine.

I checked the AE preferences against my colleagues settings and those were the same. 

I just notice that when I am working - after like 20 minutes I can hardly move the timeline indicator so I need to cloes AE and when I am opening I can move it again.

One last thing - I have just stopped the render as it was over the 3 hours and Someone offered to do it for me which would be quicker and that window showed up:

Screenshot 2020-10-13 at 18.09.08.png

This is the frst time I have seen it and I am working on this file from last friday and I have stopped render before.

I will be greatful for any suggestions 🙂

TOPICS
Error or problem , Expressions , Performance , Preview

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure you update your plugins to the latest versions. Catalina broke a lot of things. I still have not updated because I make a living with my machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello - thank you!

Yes but other people have the same specs and the same system installed.

So they tested this file with the same plugins and all was fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All it takes is one line of 32-bit code in a plug-in to break any app in Catalina. Make sure your Video Copilot plug-ins are up-to-date. Check the GPU acceleration settings in the Project Settings  by pressing Shift + Alt/Option + Ctrl/Cmnd + ;

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello - thank you for your time 🙂

I dont have any other plugins installed at the moment.

Those are my GPU settings - I checked both options and it slow in both cases.

Screenshot 2020-10-13 at 19.55.20.png

I noticed something else. Most of the times when I am opening the AE file the whole screen goes to black for 3-5 seconds and then back to normal with AE window loading.

It was happening from the beginning when I got this computer but now I am thinking maybe there is something wrong with the hardware after all? I just ignored all the signes?

I have also checked RAM and all seems to be ok there:

Screenshot 2020-10-13 at 20.01.01.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try opening up your preferences and make sure that you have a multiple of 4GB assigned to other applications. I suggest you assign 8 to other apps. AE does not like uneven numbers in memory allocation and Dynamic Link for things like Camera Tracking and Warp Stabilizing and especially Content-Aware Fill is very sensitive to memory allocation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 14, 2020 Oct 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Good morning - I did assign 8GB and it didnt change a thing.

But thank you for all the suggestions - it must be the hardware problem. 

But it is so weird as I am testing my previus files - currently rendering  - and it all seems to be ok and those files are much bigger and slower to work with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines