Highlighted

Puppet pin recording stops at roughly 10 seconds in

New Here ,
Jul 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Heyo!

I've been working on a fun minute long animation (form an artwork), which I animated entirely using recording with puppet tool. At first, this worked just fine, the recording was in real time and lasted the entire minute. Now, after I wanted to do some changes, I can't keep recording past about roughly 10 seconds in (the recording, anywhere in the animation). What occurs is that after 5 seconds into the recording, the recording slows down and starts lagging, and at that about 10 seconds in, the lag is so big it practically stops moving.

This occurs even if I restart the app, start a new project, use any resolution, make the puppet using a simple solid or any tiny png file. My original animation was full 4k, including all of it's assets.

Things that I have tried: Reinstalling AE, installing older version, Purge all memory, Empty Disk Cache, Clean Database & Cache, Purge all memory & disk catche, Cache Before Playback, If caching-> play cached frames, slowing down the record speed, and as I said above, doing a new project and not using 4k assets.

(the recording I'm showing is quite simplified, just moving the pin around in circles, but my animation was far more complex than that, and had almost 10 pins. This one in the recording has only 2 and the lag still occurs.)

Specs, Intel i7 @ 4.20GHz, 32 GB RAM, Windows 10, RTX 2060

I can still however playback any animation made with puppet tool, no matter how long or complex, it just takes a while to cache the frames for playback. And my last resort would be not relying on the recording after all since it's bugged for me.

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Puppet pin recording stops at roughly 10 seconds in

New Here ,
Jul 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Heyo!

I've been working on a fun minute long animation (form an artwork), which I animated entirely using recording with puppet tool. At first, this worked just fine, the recording was in real time and lasted the entire minute. Now, after I wanted to do some changes, I can't keep recording past about roughly 10 seconds in (the recording, anywhere in the animation). What occurs is that after 5 seconds into the recording, the recording slows down and starts lagging, and at that about 10 seconds in, the lag is so big it practically stops moving.

This occurs even if I restart the app, start a new project, use any resolution, make the puppet using a simple solid or any tiny png file. My original animation was full 4k, including all of it's assets.

Things that I have tried: Reinstalling AE, installing older version, Purge all memory, Empty Disk Cache, Clean Database & Cache, Purge all memory & disk catche, Cache Before Playback, If caching-> play cached frames, slowing down the record speed, and as I said above, doing a new project and not using 4k assets.

(the recording I'm showing is quite simplified, just moving the pin around in circles, but my animation was far more complex than that, and had almost 10 pins. This one in the recording has only 2 and the lag still occurs.)

Specs, Intel i7 @ 4.20GHz, 32 GB RAM, Windows 10, RTX 2060

I can still however playback any animation made with puppet tool, no matter how long or complex, it just takes a while to cache the frames for playback. And my last resort would be not relying on the recording after all since it's bugged for me.

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jul 18, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check background processes and disk space. Has anything else changed on your system? Have you tried using Fast Draft for the Fast Preview option?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 18, 2020 0
Neptor LATEST
New Here ,
Jul 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Disk space of my SSD drive on C, went from roughly 300GB space free to roughly 200GB free space after installing a new game, I don't think it's the issue. (However, my SSD might be outdated, it's Samsung SSD 840 EVO 1TB) At the same time as the issue occurred, I had installed the latest Game Ready drivers from Nvidia. I asked a friend about this issue, and he told me to use Studio drivers instead, now the lag occurs at 12 seconds.

I tried using various combinations of fast draft settings as you suggested, utilizing every option available, with no better results even after occasionally restarting the app. The maximum amount of Texture Memory I can allocate is 4485MB. Could RAM speed affect the results? It's G.Skill 32GB (4x8GB), DDR3 2400MHz , but it's clocked much lower, somewhere around 1800MHz, I think it has to do with some kind of profiling that needs to be done in the BIOS that I never did. (system crashed otherwise)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 20, 2020 0