Highlighted

Purchased AE template which has everything set up as "slides"; how to move slide to other AE project

New Here ,
Aug 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry up front because I'm new to AE so bear with me. I purchaed an AE template which is how I'm learning the program which I can do on a very superficial level. I've spent hours with beginner tutorials so I can navigate the basics and have created/exported a few videos from this template already.

The template is set up as individual slides (which is how I'll refer to them - are they compositions?), with folders in the project panel for accessing information I can change: background image, various text boxes. To customize it to my needs, I've deleted slides and saved as new projects as needed. Now I need to add some of those slides back from the original template, and this is where I get completely lost.

I've attached images of the project and its slides/compositions/timeline. Looking at that as an example, how would I take [Slide 10] in the timeline and move it to another AE project based on that same template? 

I've searched for this topic but I don't think I'm using the correct terms.

TOPICS
How to, User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Purchased AE template which has everything set up as "slides"; how to move slide to other AE project

New Here ,
Aug 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry up front because I'm new to AE so bear with me. I purchaed an AE template which is how I'm learning the program which I can do on a very superficial level. I've spent hours with beginner tutorials so I can navigate the basics and have created/exported a few videos from this template already.

The template is set up as individual slides (which is how I'll refer to them - are they compositions?), with folders in the project panel for accessing information I can change: background image, various text boxes. To customize it to my needs, I've deleted slides and saved as new projects as needed. Now I need to add some of those slides back from the original template, and this is where I get completely lost.

I've attached images of the project and its slides/compositions/timeline. Looking at that as an example, how would I take [Slide 10] in the timeline and move it to another AE project based on that same template? 

I've searched for this topic but I don't think I'm using the correct terms.

TOPICS
How to, User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Aug 21, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, your screenshots don't tell us much about your project. In the future please embed them using the toolbar. There is a little icon that looks like a picture of a mountain range.

Screen%20Shot%202020-08-21%20at%2011.54.59%20AM

Screen%20Shot%202020-08-21%20at%2011.50.24%20AM

Those layers named Slide are compositions that are nested. Everything that is in the Project Panel is an asset. Assets can be sound files, video files, images, solids, C4D files, and folders. I don't think I have forgotten anything. 

If you delete a layer in a timeline, the asset is still there unless that layer is a Shape layer or a Text layer. Text and Shape layers exist only in the timeline. 

If you delete an asset in the Project Panel, it is gone and any layer that once contained that asset will still be in the timeline, but the asset will be replaced with color bars and a missing file warning. 

If you just deleted Slide layers from the timeline you can just drop them back in the timeline as long as they did not have any animated or modified properties. If the layers have any modified properties, which you can find by pressing the U key twice, then you will have to add those modifications back in the timeline.

The way to understand a template is to open up the Flow chart and expand everything. A flowchart will give you the effects that are used and allow you to jump to any comp, or layer or asset source in the footage panel by simply clicking on the thing you want to inspect.

Before we can tell you how to add more "Slides" to your comp, we need to know what is going on with those layers in the timeline. It would also help if we knew what template you were looking at. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 21, 2020 0
New Here ,
Aug 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply, Rick. Yes, sorry, AE is like an alien language to me and coming from desktop publishing, trying to figure out how these slide show templates are put together makes my brain hurt. Aside: When starting a post here it tells you to drag and drop files - I didn't have this cool tool bar at the top.

Here is a flow chart for Slide 10 mentioned, as well as where it is in the nested comp/timeline. None of this makes any sense to me and I wasn't worried because I was just trying to copy this composition as a new "slide" within this project's nested timeline, but then also save/export this slide/compositon and add it in to another project based off this template.

Screen Shot 2020-08-21 at 4.05.11 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-08-21 at 4.20.23 PM.png

Alas, it doesn't seem that this is easy to do. I just want to find [Slide 10] and save as or hold down ctrl and drag a copy down the nested timeline. Obviously my background is Indesign/Illustraor/Photoshop. Therefore, I am frustrated and confused. And a little angry lol

All of the assets related to previously deleted slides/comps are still in the project panel assets - I just deleted them from the timeline. But now I assume there are settings related to the nested slides and their transitions which may be missing.

Screen Shot 2020-08-21 at 4.16.45 PM.png   Screen Shot 2020-08-21 at 4.16.53 PM.png

I understand the nested comps/slides are their own separate comps, but I can't understand why I can't just isolate one, copy, rename, and move it somewhere else. It either doesn't work that way or I'm not knowing how or where to do it.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 21, 2020 0
Aug 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think what you ask for is not possible, so unless you rebuild the slide 10 in your new project, especially if there is an expression and so, even if you have a project and you want to import the same project inside it, you can't remove the nested compositions from the imported project. especially on the template where there is some controller layers 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 21, 2020 0
Aug 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you duplicate a comp in the Project panel you get a new unique copy of that comp. If you duplicate a nested comp in a timeline you just get another copy of that comp so any changes made to the comp will appear in both copies. 

In slide 10 there are 4 nested comps. If you duplicate Slide 10 in the Comp panel you'll also need to duplicate those 4 nested comps, then open the Slide 10 Copy and replace the Slide 10 Mask, Logo, Elements and background layers with the Slide 10 Copy Mask, logo, elements and background comps you duplicated in the Project Panel.

Complex projects quickly become very difficult to handle manually, but there is an easy solution. It's called True Comp Duplicator and it is one of the best $25 I ever spent. 

What you are trying to do is extremely complex and requires a very good understanding of the structure of your compositions. Even when I work on my own projects things quickly get very complicated. This is the flow chart from one of my recent composites. The average comp in this project was under 7 seconds and look at the mess it is digging through and find the layer with the curves adjustment that needs a little tweaking to fix a glitch in four frames in the final render.

Screenshot_2020-08-21 19.48.47_U5zAdR.png

A double click on the layer with Set Matte and Curves will open up the comp and take me to the layer so I can make the edit. There were a total of 6 scenes in the project, 19 main comps, and 137 nested comps in the project. Without the flow chart, it would take a lot of poking around to figure out which layer needed to be edited.

It is possible to pick one of the Scene Comps, Duplicate it and it's nested comps, then move it around and use the duplicate somewhere else, you just have to completely understand how things are linked.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 21, 2020 0