Highlighted

Question about t-shirt video mockups

Community Beginner ,
May 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Creating a t-shirt mockup in PS is easy enough using a displacement map over a blank t-shirt. If I want a t-shirt video mockup I use https://placeit.net/t-shirt-video-mockups and upload artwork for each stock template. I would like to create my own native mockups from original footage. I imagine it is a combination of motion tracking and creating a displacement map for each individual frame in the timeline. Can someone explain to me how this is done in AE?

Topics

How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Question about t-shirt video mockups

Community Beginner ,
May 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Creating a t-shirt mockup in PS is easy enough using a displacement map over a blank t-shirt. If I want a t-shirt video mockup I use https://placeit.net/t-shirt-video-mockups and upload artwork for each stock template. I would like to create my own native mockups from original footage. I imagine it is a combination of motion tracking and creating a displacement map for each individual frame in the timeline. Can someone explain to me how this is done in AE?

Topics

How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Most Valuable Participant ,
May 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only tools that generate actual exact normal maps for such trickery are Nuke and flame, highly expensive high-end compositing tools. Of course you can still kinda fake it, but it will be down to how you actualyl shot your footage and whether you can successfully extract the grey levels from shadows and wrinkles to create the foundations of a displacment map. on top of that you're still going to need to use a ton of otehr distortion tools like Mesh Warp, Liquify, Puppet. It's easy to fake this for a still image, but getting it to look believable for video is a whole other diszipline as even tiny discrepancies wil lruin the illusion...

Mylenium

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I will check those out. Someone from the Reddit AE group mentioned this: https://aescripts.com/lockdown    What do you think?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I saw Lockdown about 3 days after it was released and bought it on the spot. Used it many times. Here's the demo that sold me.

It is a little tricky to use so you will have to watch the tutorials a couple of times but it is amazing. A typical time to create a believable overlay on a moving t-shirt in AE without the plug-in if you really know what you are doing is probably close to an hour for every 30 frames. With the plug-in a 5-second shot can be nailed down in about 10 minutes. Combine Lockdown with Stabilized Corner Pin and some other compositing tricks and you can put textures on amazingly complex backgrounds and they are completely believable, even with shadows and highlights. In spite of what Mylenium says, Lockdown can easily rival Nuke or Flame.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot. I specifically need this to drop artwork on t-shirts and sportswear.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lockdown is very good but if you're only wanting to insert CGI onto a t-shirt, you should get by with mochaAE and AE's Displacement Map. Here's an old show-and-tell - https://youtu.be/A1liTxT2U0k

Ensure you enhance the Map Layer/PreComp for the Displacement Map by crushing the Blacks and Whites. I also had too many Markers - Four should have been sufficient. Take note that each marker you insert, you will have to remove, perfectly. Additionally, if possible, place markers in a position such that the insert will overlap the markers - this will preclude having to perfectly remove the markers.

Broadcast Gem's in Singapore offer After Effects & mocha Pro training. In this video, Roland Kahlenberg shows one of the projects he teaches: how to use moch...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awesome. I scoured Youtube and could not find what I was looking for. This is great. Thanks a lot.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines