• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Quicktime movies rendered from After Effects CC 2019 don't play back in Quicktime 10.15 in Catalina

New Here ,
Nov 04, 2019 Nov 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quicktime movies rendered out from After Effects using CC 2019 no longer play in Quicktime 10.15 which ships with MAC OS Catalina. The movie files have a Quicktime icon but Mac OS does not recognise them. I'm rendering out at 720p with the Animation compressor. Has anyone else had this problem? 

*** Solution***

I discovered that the problem is with the animation compressor which I believe is 32bit. Adobe have continued support for this in After Effects in case you're using an earlier version of the OS, but if you render from After Effects using this codec in Catalina your movie file will not open. The solution is to render from After Effects using the QuickTime ProRes 4444 codec which apparently is indistinguishable from a lossless render. For the lowdown on the ProRess QuickTime Codecs see this: https://www.apple.com/final-cut-pro/docs/Apple_ProRes_White_Paper.pdf

TOPICS
Error or problem , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Dec 01, 2020 Dec 01, 2020

Solution posted by the OP:

I discovered that the problem is with the animation compressor which I believe is 32bit. Adobe have continued support for this in After Effects in case you're using an earlier version of the OS, but if you render from After Effects using this codec in Catalina your movie file will not open. The solution is to render from After Effects using the QuickTime ProRes 4444 codec which apparently is indistinguishable from a lossless render. For the lowdown on the ProRess Qui

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2019 Nov 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the exact same problem and your solution solved it. thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 15, 2019 Dec 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But if you render in any pro res ...it works , I don’t find solution to alpha Channel ? Any one have the solution ? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 26, 2020 Apr 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you need an alpha channel render to Apple Pro Res XQ or Apple Pro Res 4444. These are the only two versions of the codec that support an alpha channel. You can find a detailed explanation of the codec which isn't too technical here: https://www.apple.com/final-cut-pro/docs/Apple_ProRes_White_Paper.pdf

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 01, 2020 Dec 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Solution posted by the OP:

I discovered that the problem is with the animation compressor which I believe is 32bit. Adobe have continued support for this in After Effects in case you're using an earlier version of the OS, but if you render from After Effects using this codec in Catalina your movie file will not open. The solution is to render from After Effects using the QuickTime ProRes 4444 codec which apparently is indistinguishable from a lossless render. For the lowdown on the ProRess QuickTime Codecs see this: https://www.apple.com/final-cut-pro/docs/Apple_ProRes_White_Paper.pdf

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 07, 2021 Mar 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Steve Jobs used to say: "Adobe are lazy".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines