Highlighted

RAM gets full & program crashes during keyframe smoothing

New Here ,
Aug 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have nearly an hour of slider keyframes generated from music. When I use the smoother panel to smooth them out, I watch my RAM fill to about 95%-97%, where it hovers for a little while and then the program crashes with the error seen in the screenshot. This all happens in under 5 minutes.

error.PNG

If I only select 1-2 minutes worth of keyframes, the smoothing process completes but my memory still fills up while it's processing. This is doable but obviously inefficient, and it doesn't seem like this process should fill up the memory like it does.

Things I've tried: purging the cache and memory, disabling RAM preview, simplifying the comp as much as possible, checking Windows paging file sizes (set to automatically manage), Googling for other solutions

System details: AE version 17.1.2, Windows 10, 32GB ram, i7-9700k CPU

TOPICS
Audio, Crash, Error or problem, Freeze or hang

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

RAM gets full & program crashes during keyframe smoothing

New Here ,
Aug 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have nearly an hour of slider keyframes generated from music. When I use the smoother panel to smooth them out, I watch my RAM fill to about 95%-97%, where it hovers for a little while and then the program crashes with the error seen in the screenshot. This all happens in under 5 minutes.

error.PNG

If I only select 1-2 minutes worth of keyframes, the smoothing process completes but my memory still fills up while it's processing. This is doable but obviously inefficient, and it doesn't seem like this process should fill up the memory like it does.

Things I've tried: purging the cache and memory, disabling RAM preview, simplifying the comp as much as possible, checking Windows paging file sizes (set to automatically manage), Googling for other solutions

System details: AE version 17.1.2, Windows 10, 32GB ram, i7-9700k CPU

TOPICS
Audio, Crash, Error or problem, Freeze or hang

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Aug 06, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An hour is an insane length for an AE comp and an insane number of keyframes to smooth. Split it up. I can't imagine a single shot that lasted an hour holding anyone's attention. If this is just a bunch of random colors or shapes pulsing to the music and you want to smooth things out, set the comp frame rate to about 8 or 10 fps, analyze the audio, then pre-compose the Both Channels and the layers with the animated effects, then change the frame rate of the main comp back to the original frame rate. You will get a nice easing between keyframe values every 8 or 10 frames in a lot less time than smoothing keyframes would take. That's a trick I use all the time.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 06, 2020 0
New Here ,
Aug 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply. That's a fair point about the length of the comp (and I'll try that other method you mentioned next time). Still, the program crashes when it tries to process anything above 2 minutes worth of keyframes. It doesn't seem like AE should require literally all of my computer's memory while performing those calculations. Is it a memory leak/bug, or am I missing something else?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 07, 2020 0