Highlighted

Reinstalling After Effects (Troubleshooting) but extensions keep coming back.

Community Beginner ,
Jul 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, 

I needed to reinstall AE from Creative Cloud to, hopefully, stop it from crashing. I tried many 'solutions,' but none of them work. Since I purchased a bunch of scripts from Gumroad, Video Copilot, aescripts, etc. I figured it would best to just completely remove the entire CC install and reinstall what I need. 

I removed everything Adobe from my MacBook Pro using the uninstallers, CC cleaner tool, and CleanMyMac. I removed everything from the Libraries and Applications folders that was Adobe related. All cache folders were removed, also. 

I reinstalled everything from Adobe and hoped that I resolved the crashing issue. But as I looked at the AE install, I noticed that all of my scripts and extensions returned. All of them. 

Where did they come from? Were they 'reinstalled' from a backup when I grabbed AE from from Adobe? Did iCloud put them back? If someone can point me in the correct direction, I would appreciate it. 

Kevin

I was hoping to install the scripts one by one and see which one - if any - was causing an issue. 

Topics

Crash, Expressions, FAQ

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Reinstalling After Effects (Troubleshooting) but extensions keep coming back.

Community Beginner ,
Jul 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, 

I needed to reinstall AE from Creative Cloud to, hopefully, stop it from crashing. I tried many 'solutions,' but none of them work. Since I purchased a bunch of scripts from Gumroad, Video Copilot, aescripts, etc. I figured it would best to just completely remove the entire CC install and reinstall what I need. 

I removed everything Adobe from my MacBook Pro using the uninstallers, CC cleaner tool, and CleanMyMac. I removed everything from the Libraries and Applications folders that was Adobe related. All cache folders were removed, also. 

I reinstalled everything from Adobe and hoped that I resolved the crashing issue. But as I looked at the AE install, I noticed that all of my scripts and extensions returned. All of them. 

Where did they come from? Were they 'reinstalled' from a backup when I grabbed AE from from Adobe? Did iCloud put them back? If someone can point me in the correct direction, I would appreciate it. 

Kevin

I was hoping to install the scripts one by one and see which one - if any - was causing an issue. 

Topics

Crash, Expressions, FAQ

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jul 25, 2020 0
Mylenium LATEST
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jul 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a wild guess from a non-current ex-Mac user: Possibly some of those new-fangled security functions in recent OS X versions have restored your user folder files when you may have run your cleanup with insufficient user permissions. You may need to delve into your terminal to release them or at least mess with the user stuff in the file info panel or disk utility. I've seen people report similar weird behaviors (unrelated to Adobe) when the computer didn't shut down correctly or similar and previously deleted files just reappeared thanks to APFS recconstructing them.

Mylenium

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 25, 2020 1