Highlighted

Removing the background with Roto Brush & Refine Edge not working for this video

New Here ,
Jul 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Everybody! I'm new to Adobe After Effects and I need help!  I want to purchase this stock video and use it for my project, but before purchasing, I want to make sure that I can remove the white background.

https://www.shutterstock.com/video/clip-11746970-gift-boxes-opening-3d-animation-6-different

I downloaded the sample and tried to remove the background with the Roto Brush & Refine Edge, but when I select the desired subject with the brush, is not selecting anything but the entire video. Is also giving me this message that says: "Frame rate mismatch, or footage with fields found. For best Roto Brush & Edge results, se the composition to 30 fps to match the layer source."

I checked the composition and indeed is 30 fps, so I don't know why is not working. Can anyone help me figure out how can I remove the white background? Thanks!

TOPICS
Error or problem, How to, Import and export, User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Removing the background with Roto Brush & Refine Edge not working for this video

New Here ,
Jul 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Everybody! I'm new to Adobe After Effects and I need help!  I want to purchase this stock video and use it for my project, but before purchasing, I want to make sure that I can remove the white background.

https://www.shutterstock.com/video/clip-11746970-gift-boxes-opening-3d-animation-6-different

I downloaded the sample and tried to remove the background with the Roto Brush & Refine Edge, but when I select the desired subject with the brush, is not selecting anything but the entire video. Is also giving me this message that says: "Frame rate mismatch, or footage with fields found. For best Roto Brush & Edge results, se the composition to 30 fps to match the layer source."

I checked the composition and indeed is 30 fps, so I don't know why is not working. Can anyone help me figure out how can I remove the white background? Thanks!

TOPICS
Error or problem, How to, Import and export, User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jul 15, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please embed your screenshots using the toolbar. 

Rotobrush is the wrong tool for this shot and you did not match the frame rate of your comp with the frame rate of the footage. If the frame rates differ and you are sure you want to use the frame rate of the comp you can either pre-compose the footage and live with blended frames or you can accept a slight speed change and interpret the source footage to match the comp's frame rate. You need to check the interpretation for the footage or the info in the Project Panel.

I made a copy of the footage, added Calculations Red from Blue in the Multiply mode at 100%, and added curves to create a high contrast black and white image that could be used as an Inverse Luma Matte for the box. It's almost perfect. The screenshot shows you everything I did to create the matte.

Screenshot_2020-07-15 16.51.43_95ktgB.png

A couple of copies of the layer and a few keyframes for a mask for the inside of the box and you could add the reflected color to the background and put something inside the box. I chose Red, but the camera moves are the same for all boxes so you could use the red copy as a track matte for any of the other boxes. Rotobrush is really going to struggle with the reflections, the fast-moving ribbons, and holding the edges. It is the wrong tool for the job.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 15, 2020 1
New Here ,
Jul 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the reply! I followed the steps and it works!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 23, 2020 0