Highlighted

Rendering a simple AE project takes forever. CC2018.

New Here ,
Nov 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After updating I'm noticing my computer is taking forever to render. Previewing in AE is also extremely slow.

I am currently on a project where I have two avi files and a nested comp with a venn diagram made of shape layers and text. It is not complicated. 5 text layers have a small scale animation and the fill color of two shapes changes.
The avi files have four effects: smooth screen, keylight, key cleaner and spill killer.
The comp is 2 minutes and 14 seconds and take about 1 hour and 45 minutes to export.
My computer specs (from the windows system "about" screen):
Windows 10
CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(R) E5-2650 v4 @ 2.20 GHz 2.20 GHz

RAM: 48 GB

Nvidia Quadro M4000

4GB of RAM is set to be reserved for other applications.
Cache and database is local on a SSD disc.

My computers performance is around:
CPU 30%
RAM 30-40%
Drive 1-20%

What can I do to improve render speed? This is unbearable and not very deadline efficient!

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Rendering a simple AE project takes forever. CC2018.

New Here ,
Nov 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After updating I'm noticing my computer is taking forever to render. Previewing in AE is also extremely slow.

I am currently on a project where I have two avi files and a nested comp with a venn diagram made of shape layers and text. It is not complicated. 5 text layers have a small scale animation and the fill color of two shapes changes.
The avi files have four effects: smooth screen, keylight, key cleaner and spill killer.
The comp is 2 minutes and 14 seconds and take about 1 hour and 45 minutes to export.
My computer specs (from the windows system "about" screen):
Windows 10
CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(R) E5-2650 v4 @ 2.20 GHz 2.20 GHz

RAM: 48 GB

Nvidia Quadro M4000

4GB of RAM is set to be reserved for other applications.
Cache and database is local on a SSD disc.

My computers performance is around:
CPU 30%
RAM 30-40%
Drive 1-20%

What can I do to improve render speed? This is unbearable and not very deadline efficient!

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 29, 2017 0
LEGEND ,
Nov 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

urzie  wrote

Use AE CC 2017.  The initial release of any new AE version always has a boatload of bugs in it.  You can either file bug reports and wait, or you can use the previous version which has most of the bugs ironed out.

There's a reason why people call a CC rental the "Adobe Unpaid Beta Tester Program".  You've found out why.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 30, 2017 0
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With this latest release, I am finding I need to Purge All Memory constantly. This may help but likely going back to AE 2017 makes more sense as Dave said. I don't have any evidence to back this claim up, but it seems like the 2018 release caches differently than 2017. After Effects is more sticky with this release than staying on AE 2017.

Also, you may consider disabling your disk cache entirely. You may be bottle necking your boot drive if you are running AE from the same drive as you are caching to. This can be compounded by using the same drive to read and write your media to/from. My understanding from other users is--ideally, you will have three drives.

- one for running the software from

- one for reading and writing your source media to/from

- one for caching

All of these ideally would be fast drives. This is an expensive proposition but it can improve performance.

Lastly, with this latest release, I discovered my cache settings did not transfer from the previous release so I had to tweak them.

Hope this helps! But yes, probably best to go back to 2017 if you can manage that.

Sincerely,

Shawn

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 30, 2017 0
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi urzie,

Are you still experiencing slow render times? Let us know if you are still needing help.

Thanks,
Kevin

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 11, 2017 0
New Here ,
Dec 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin!

Yes, I am. The project I was working on when I posted this is finished. But it took a total of 9 hours to export one video on 7 min 40 sek and one video on 2 min 30 sek, and there was nothing fancy about them at all.

I have tried clearing and moving my cache. Disabled it entirely. Purging memory. Working both from server and locally. Nothing seems to be helping. It is even having problems previewing a 2 second 4:3 avi without any effects on full resolution.

My colleague is on an earlier version of my computer, but with same CC version. She is not experiencing any problems.

Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 11, 2017 0
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Urzie,

Try reserving a lot more RAM for other applications. Sounds like you may be starving your cores. More info: Performance tip: Don’t starve your software of RAM. | Creative Cloud blog by Adobe

Let us know if that assisted your problem.

Thanks,
Kevin

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 12, 2017 0
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue.

I had a simple 2d animation project. Vector illustrations imported from AI. There's a few precomps and a few FX applied. It's nothing major.

It estimates 1hr to render an 15sec HD clip.

I've cleared my cache. And I allocated more RAM to other programs to not starve the cores. 16gb. 6gb other programs. 10 gb AE. That doesn't appear to have helped at all.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 07, 2018 0
New Here ,
Jun 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you fix it in the end? I'm having similiar problems with AE 2020, It's typography based, no motion blur, should be a fast render but takes about 30 mins for a minute and a half video?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 12, 2020 0