Highlighted

Repetile help

Explorer ,
Apr 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys,

I have a shape repeated using repetile but would like these shapes to appear one by one (preferably randomly) rather than all at once. Please let me know how i can do this.

Topics

Expressions, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Repetile help

Explorer ,
Apr 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys,

I have a shape repeated using repetile but would like these shapes to appear one by one (preferably randomly) rather than all at once. Please let me know how i can do this.

Topics

Expressions, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Apr 24, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Apr 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, you can do it by not using Repetile. This will have to be done manually with separate layers. There are limitations to using canned effects and presets and some things only come the hard way. Of course you could still use Repetile to repeat the pattern, but you'd stiull have to create a track matte for each element to reveal it or use additional effects, so it seems to me just biting the bullet and doing it directly would be the most efficient way, regardless.

Mylenium

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 24, 2020 1
Explorer ,
Apr 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for the speedy response. I tried it the hard way first but it's completely choking my machine as there are 184 layers with an expression on each 😞

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 24, 2020 0
Apr 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What expression? Why not simply use keyframes? I'm sure you could just prototype one layer and then have soem sort of random shuffle script from AEScripts.com distribute your layers randomly in time and space. Depending on what expression you actualyl use, even simplifying/ optimizing it may do the trick.

Mylenium

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 24, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Apr 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the first shape fading up (keys on opacity) then the following expression on each layer under and a slider control to adjust the delay.

offset = thisComp.layer("offset").effect("Slider Control")("Slider")

thisComp.layer(index - 1).transform.opacity.valueAtTime(time - offset)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 24, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Apr 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A random shuffle script is my next plan.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 24, 2020 0
Apr 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would suggest getting rid of valueAtTime(). This is of course a performance hog as effectively AE looks uzp a bazillion subframe samples for each layer to determine the current actual value of the layer. since you appear to use a strictly linear order (in terms of how the layer stack in the timeline is referenced), a simple linear(time,start+offset,end+offset) or something similar might be much more efficient with the start and end defined e.g. by layer markers, keyframes or a randomly generated time value.

Mylenium

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 24, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Apr 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The script was the way to go. Thanks SO MUCH for your help 🙂

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 24, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want multiple copies of a shape to pop up randomly you have a couple of options. One is multiple repeaters. I did this with 4.

Multiple Repeaters.gif

The other, and probably the one I would use, would be Card Dance and an animated gradient with something like fractal noise. You could make all kinds of random motion, size, and lighting effects happen in 3D. Another option would be Card Wipe and an animated gradient. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 24, 2020 0