• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Replace layer in comp with the SAME footage at different time

Explorer ,
Nov 10, 2020 Nov 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't been able to find an answer to this, and it may be because I'm asking it wrong, but I have a screen caputre that I did where I want to jump back and forth between 100% and 200% magnification.  I did 9 tutorials and each I've recorded both the wide and tight shot in the same screen capture.  I want to apply all the same effects and positioning by opt + dragging my footage over the existing footage, but it replaces it at the same timecode, not at the time I set my in-point.  Is there a way to force the alt-drag method (or any other method) to have the same parameters but start at the TC I set?  Thanks in advance.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Create an animation preset, don't replace footage. Better yet, don't edit your screen capture videos in AE, edit them in Premiere Pro and drop your closeups on a video track above the full screen captures. You'll be done in a lot less time, you'll do a better job, you will have a lot more control over everything, and if you create a couple of Mogrts for titles and explanations you will have all the flexibility you need to create screen capture tutorials. AE is for creating shots you can't create in an NLE,. It the worst video editing app I have ever used except maybe for Fusion. I never cut my tutorials in AE. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, @Rick Gerard. This particular web page is so dynamic that I have recreated much of it using photoshop, so it's mainly the rollover animations that I need to show "as-live".  I think your first suggestion is the way to go in this instance, though I definitely share your sentiment about AE being terrible as a straight NLE.  There are just too many SFX I'm using in this one.  Plus, I'm not super pro at Premiere.  I'm one of those rare blasphemers who uses FCPX and After Effects b/c I don't like Premiere or Motion.  But yes, most other tutorials I would find myself in FCPX for most of the edit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've never seen a tutorial that needed FX that couldn't be done in Premiere Pro and the included graphics package except for a couple of shots. Post a link when you get your tutorials done. I'd like to see what you are doing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sure, I'll send a link.  Odds are you'll think, "that could almost all be done in Premiere with mogrt files", but I've had to retime a few things as well, and I HATE Premiere's speed ramp functionality.  I can make plenty of other excuses to avoid Premiere, but as I said, it's also more complex than I would like to do in FCPX.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines