Highlighted

Resetting rotate to zero without moving it.

New Here ,
Jul 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I've straightened a wonkyset of finger artworks in AE 8.7 degrees to make them straight. When I come to use sliders they revert back to the wonky state. Is there a quick way I can reset the value to zero and keep the little chaps straight?

If you get me?

All the best

Bill

Most Valuable Participant
Correct answer by Mylenium | Most Valuable Participant

Nope. AE has unfortunately no pivot point/ axis rotation that would allow such a thing. Your only option is to use parenting to additional Nulls or whatever. If it's really just about straightening the artwork, you could also try to slap on a Transform effect. just be warned that it tends to affect quality much more than the native transform properties. Other than that of course prepping the images in Photoshop might avoid any such complications.

Mylenium

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Resetting rotate to zero without moving it.

New Here ,
Jul 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I've straightened a wonkyset of finger artworks in AE 8.7 degrees to make them straight. When I come to use sliders they revert back to the wonky state. Is there a quick way I can reset the value to zero and keep the little chaps straight?

If you get me?

All the best

Bill

Most Valuable Participant
Correct answer by Mylenium | Most Valuable Participant

Nope. AE has unfortunately no pivot point/ axis rotation that would allow such a thing. Your only option is to use parenting to additional Nulls or whatever. If it's really just about straightening the artwork, you could also try to slap on a Transform effect. just be warned that it tends to affect quality much more than the native transform properties. Other than that of course prepping the images in Photoshop might avoid any such complications.

Mylenium

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jul 01, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jul 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mylenium

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 01, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jul 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DANG! I'm going to have to redo the artwork in the composition. Hey-ho.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 01, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are pointing the rotation property to a slider just type value + then pickwhip to the slider. The slider value will then be added to the original rotation value. If your Slider Control is on a layer named Controller your expression would look like this:

value + thisComp.layer("Controller").effect("Slider Control")("Slider")

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 01, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jul 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could point, though it might still make things weird when you're not attentive and mess up the values. 😉

Mylenium

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 01, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jul 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Matey. I just went through my shapes and straightened them in the comp. I was just hoping you could reset to zero without moving the durn things. Thanks again.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 01, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jul 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rick. I just went through my shapes and straightened them in the comp. I was just hoping you could reset to zero without moving the durn things. I think that should be an option...Thanks again.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 01, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to zero out any shape in a shape layer you have a bunch of options. Add a group and you have more.

Screenshot_2020-07-01 12.49.00_CG0d1o.png

If the shape is a path you can also double click the path points to bring up the path transform tool. 

If you are using a slider to animate the rotation, the value plus takes care of everything else. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 01, 2020 0