Highlighted

Rotoscoping in AE-How to separate like colors.

New Here ,
Jun 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to use rotoscoping to cut the moving foreground from the background.  The background is a similar color to the color in the foreground.  I am having trouble getting them to separate.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Rotoscoping in AE-How to separate like colors.

New Here ,
Jun 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to use rotoscoping to cut the moving foreground from the background.  The background is a similar color to the color in the foreground.  I am having trouble getting them to separate.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jun 16, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like you are trying to use Rotobrush. Rotoscoping is the process of manually drawing and animating masks. It is a painstaking process that requires manually adjusting mask position every time the action changes direction and then going back and cleaning up the errors by hand. 

This is the best tutorial on the Process of Rotoscoping that you will find. Scott Squires is an effects master with a bunch of credits. The tool he is using in the demo is Commotion, but the workflow is exactly the same when you use masks in AE. 

Effects Corner: Rotoscoping - Part 1

Make sure you follow up with Part 2. 

If you are trying to use Rotobrush to automate the process you should be aware that Rotobrush will not work on all footage. The footage needs to be shot with the workflow in mind. We need to see the shot to give you any kind of meaningful advice. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 16, 2020 0