Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Rove Across Time disabled

New Here ,
Dec 13, 2019 Dec 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm doing a camera animation in After Effects and just discovered the option of rove across time. It would be very useful to me as I've been trying for days to get smoothness by messing around with key frames but unfortunately, the option is disabled (greyed out) for me. Any ideas why? 

TOPICS
FAQ

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to have minimum 3 keyframes to use this feature, obviously all of them selected when you use "Rove Across Time".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have 5 key frames in between the beginning and ending one. They are also only position KF. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have them all selected? Click the property in the timeline and try again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you update to Ae 17.0.1? Please do it and try again. I have this latest update and I have no issues.

Captura de Pantalla 2019-12-13 a la(s) 10.00.01.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 16, 2019 Dec 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

I tried this on both Ae 16 and 17 and it does not work on either. I tried having them all selected and only the ones in the middle and so forth. Is it possible it's something with the key frame interpolation? I also have my position paramter to be with separated dimensions I don't know if this might be an issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 11, 2020 Aug 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 
Did anyone figure this out? I am having the same issue and running 17.2Screen Shot 2020-08-11 at 10.58.01 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 12, 2020 Aug 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try removing the interpolation wizards. Ctrl + click on Windows or Cmd + click on Mac on the keyframes until the Linear keyframe appears and then try again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 12, 2020 Aug 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

timk9784967 Rove Over Time only works with Position arrays. Your screenshot does not show what property you are animating but I would guess it is probably not Position. Flare Center in the Lens Flare, Anchor Point, and Position are all properties that have spatial components. They describe something happening in the coordinate system of After Effects.  Rotation, Scale, Opacity, and any other property that does not have X, Y, and/or Z properties in the array cannot use Rove Over Time.

Screenshot_2020-08-12 15.38.19_ky3Qo1.pngScreenshot_2020-08-12 15.37.33_LH6lkX.png

If there is any question about a property having spatial properties right click on the keyframe, select Keyframe Interpolation and if the property has spatial qualities then you will have the option to Rove Across Time. If it does not, you won't. Here are screenshots of Position and Scale interpolation panels.

Screenshot_2020-08-12 15.42.48_IiZBDA.pngScreenshot_2020-08-12 15.42.09_L6MutM.png

You can also use the Animation menu or press Alt/Option + Ctrl/Cmnd + k to bring up this panel when you have keyframes selected in the timeline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 28, 2020 Sep 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rick!  I was having this issue with separated dimensions on a 3D position (I wanted x and z to rove for smoothness but y to go linearly from a beginning to an end point), and your post gave me the info I needed - I could keyframe a 2D point control, rove the keyframes of that, and use a pair of expressions to connect the x and z positions to the roving point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Sep 28, 2020 Sep 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Roving KFs does not work with Separate Dimentions. What you're suggesting may work but it's an awkward worflow. The purpose to Separate Dimensions is to have greater velocity/value control in the Graph Editor. I suggest you use it to solve your issue - it helps to invest the time to be fluent with the Value & Speed Graphs.

Motion Graphics Brand Guidelines & Motion Graphics Responsive Design Toolkits

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines